Thread: Partitioning a hard drive

Question Partitioning a hard drive

Question:

I have Window XP Pro on my laptop, got Partition Magic 7.0 and I will like to partition my hard drive. This is in order to install Linux on the second partition.

I know I have to do a full system backup, but I do not have an external hard drive.

It is save to partition the hard drive without a back up using Partition Magic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ok. firstly you can have a dual boot depending on the size of your hdd. this will be better. useing partition magic 7 you need to create 3 partitions. a logic partition to install your linux. preferably 10GB a swap file 2GB and another one. i cant remeber which. but its the last linux one. use partition magic boot disks it easier

you dont need to backup anything as long as you do it right
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Banned
    johnjoe,

it SHOULD be fine, but i wouldn't risk it. b4 u do anything with such risk backup all data that you do not wish to lose. just my opinion.

To the folks that are going to give me some advice regarding Partition Magic 7.0, i made a mistake of posting this thread without searching other forums for this topic.

But Thanks in advance.

johnjoe,

During Linux installation you will reach a part of it where you can make partitions. It's really good for me, you can make partitions, redimention the already made ones, etc., and Linux will do everything for you... in a very easy manner , so if you don't want to complicate too much yourself, then just use this tool.

Good luck!!!

DKRR

Originally posted here by Trust_Not_123
    a logic partition to install your linux. preferably 10GB a swap file 2GB and another one. i cant remeber which. but its the last linux one.
    w0w a 2 Gb swap partition...

You'll only need one partition, the /
    It's best to set up a swap partition but 2Gb is a bit much.. 300 Mb is more then enough..

It could also be smart to do a third (some linux distro's like that).. the /boot

the idea was that the /boot should be the first partition, and it should be under the 1024 cylinder (or block.. can't remember) but modern puters (PII and so on) don't need that kind a thing anymore..

If you'd ask me..

One windows partiton.. One Linux primary partition. (minimal 2Gb) and one Swap partition (300Mb or something like that)...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted here by Trust_Not_123
    you dont need to backup anything as long as you do it right

And how does he know that he's gonna do it right? Johnjoe, if you have any important files on your current partition I would save them. If you don't need the back ups, you put them in a drawyer around your computer. If you need them, you'll be thanking yourself that you took the time to back up. Like said, taking a risk and not backing up anything is a risk not recommended you take.

Regards,
    Silentstalker

PS
    I have a 450MB swap partition... I don't really know about the whole 2gig thing and why'd you want to use 2gigs for a swap partition...
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]