Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linix problems-Install/Config

I just wanted to do a quick update...I went back to the BIOS and made the needed changes to boot from CD (Again). I rebooted...it didn't work. I look in BIOS...the changes didn't save. It took me about fifteen minutes of searching, but an option had been set up so that the BIOS would not save changes unelss I went through a certain prompt first. Strange, but...

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help with this bizarre problem!

I hate to come into a discussion late like this, but I've been away for a while. I'm glad you solved your problem, but....

It does bear pointing out just for the record, though, that Red Hat 7.0 is about 4 major versions old and was incredibly flaky. Red Hat took a lot of flack from the Linux community for that, and they lost a good many long-time users to other distros over that one. Unless there is some compelling reason not to, I would look into upgrading to 8.0. If you don't have broadband, you can get the CDs from cheapbytes.com for about $2. Even a step up to 7.1 or 7.2 would save you a lot of headaches, just for the bug fixes if nothing else.

Just my .02.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I appeciate you pointing this out! I just never felt the need to get new versions of Linux when I couldn't get the old ones installed! I plan on downloading an upgrade/new version/different distro as soon as I find the time, and can borrow some broadband.

Any suggestions for someone switching over from Windoze? Phat Linux and Lindows both look decent, but I figure I might want to dive all the way in. Mandrake also seems intriguing, since it is supposed to be user friendly, but what other options can you recommend?

(I also do have Dragon Linux right now..a mini-ish Linux distro)

Thanks for all your help!