Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know why Microsoft dominates the computer world...

I know why Microsoft dominates the computer world...

It's because of our universities. I am taking an e-commerce course as an elective for my masters in telecom. management. Our schedule consists of 5 weeks of covering the .NET framework, versus one week covering J2EE. We have to make a website with a shopping cart, and connect it to a database. The prof said "If you like VB, you can use VB.NET. If you like Java, then use C#". Of course, the site must run on IIS, using (I think) a SQL Server database. Last semester, I was in a class that was supposed to be an e-commerce type class, but basically was intro to information systems for MBA's. To make our webpages, we were told to use Front Page. To connect it to the Access "database", we were told to just use the built-in wizard in Front Page. It drives me nuts.

I'd like to hear from others in universities, to compare your experiences with the tools you are "supposed" to use.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. The title isn't really true. I hoped it would get attention.

The Iceman Cometh
    My university is actually quite different. I am currently pursuing a MS in CS, after I received a BS in High Tech Mgmt. I do admit that one business course I took focused upon the use of Microsoft Excel, but that's it. Many of the CS courses focus purely upon the theory behind Computer Science. In the courses where programming is required, all programs are required to be UNIX compatible, though students can write the programs on thier home PCs and port it into UNIX if they are more comfortable doing so. Even the e-commerce courses focus upon UNIX servers or Oracle servers. While your premise may be accurate for your university, I think that it is really dependant upon the specific university and whoever writes their curriculum.

I personally prefer many of Microsoft's products over their *nix equivalents, from Office to VS.NET, from Windows to their server suite. I honestly wish that my campus focused more upon them. Instead, I am filling my free time studying for MS certifications (among a few others). I already have an OMC (Office Master Certification) in Office XP and an MCSE (Microsoft Systems Engineer) in both NT and 2000 (I got the NT one in high school), and I'm studying to get the MCSD (along with the MCAD, which is given to everyone who gets the MCSD, since the MCAD covers a subset of the material required for the MCSD), focusing upon C#.

AJ

Banned
    all i can say is that i'll use notepad b4 i use frontpage
    (not that noepad is bad, but for bigger websites something like dreamweaver is much quicker)

The Univ. I go to 'pushes' you to use MS products. . .if you use the comp labs there all you can use is VC++ and the other MS equivs, but the profs are usually pretty kewl, I got by my first C course using Borland and the second semester I used g++, but I could have lucked out with the second semester, the prof was a *nix enthusiast.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Well another thing is that Microsoft's products are very user-friendly, except for the part where they ship a couple of blue screens with their OSes. But the point is, Microsoft was really the "first" to create things that a six year old could use, literally. I mean imagine a six year old having to type in the commands to run word on his/her computer? That would be pretty weird. Just a thought, you know.

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

command

Originally posted here by silentstalker
    I mean imagine a six year old having to type in the commands to run word on his/her computer? That would be pretty weird. Just a thought, you know.
    I remember writing basic programs on my C64 when I was six..
    Now that was command line power !

Code:
    10 PRINT "C64 RULES ";
    20 GOTO 10
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

LoL I'm sure you're program was useful to many people... I wonder why you didn't put it on a disc and make four million copies of it and sell it?

Regards,
    Silentstalker

<topic mode="off">I did...

Remember Windows 1.0 ??

you just seen a small part of the sourcecode !!</topic>
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I have probably just seen THE source code

Jinx you aren't supposed to use Goto or Gosub commands! lol, I remember those old days too.

Code:
    10 ? "The_Jinx is old like me"
    20 ? "hahaha"
    30 goto 10
    40 end
    even though it never hits end

El Diablo