AP Question

Thread: AP Question

AP Question

Hey, I just have a quick question. I've posted twenty times now, not that much, but enough to earn me a few points, and I've recieved mostly positive APs, yet I still have negative points. Why? I looked at the tutorials, but didn't find the answer. 63% positive..any ideas? Thanks!

^Mobius^,

It doesn't matter the quantity of posts you make but the quality. If AO members consider your threads or posts useful and helpful then you will be having more points soon. Look at the site FAQs here to learn more about AntiPoints.

Bye.

DKRR

Banned
    It's because of the weight that each hit counts for. If one person hits you with negative APs and it takes you down 20 points, and three other people hit you each for 10 points, then your total points received is going to be 50. 20 of these 50 are negative, and 30 of these 50 are positive, so you have a 60% positive antipoint status. Hope this helps you understand.

Well said, DKRR. Remember, don't be caught up with antipoints. They will ruin your stay here. Only worry about them when its a matter of getting banned

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

Good posts,don't wine about AP's,don't get personal,be fair and respect people's opinions and views.The rest will follow.Oh..make sure your heading relates to what you are actually talking about..

regards
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Re: AP Question

It's because of the weight that each hit counts for. If one person hits you with negative APs and it takes you down 20 points, and three other people hit you each for 10 points, then your total points received is going to be 50. 20 of these 50 are negative, and 30 of these 50 are positive, so you have a 60% positive antipoint status. Hope this helps you understand.
    I could be mistaken, but I think the point he was trying to make is this:

Why does his antipoint status show "only a few negative antipoints" if he truly has 63% positive. Shouldn't it say that he has a few positive points? Or does the status/mouseover message get updated less often than the percentage recieved when looking in your personal antipoint center?

I'm thinking that the database might trigger every night to update users' statuses based on their points so their new status shows the next day (as opposed to the user's status being ENTIRELY dynamic by doing a database lookup each time a post is viewed). This would mean that data viewed in an individual user's Antipoint Center is live, up to date. The number/color of dots underneath a users name in a post are updated daily.

Just a thought... any other ideas as to why this happens?
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Yeah i was curious too. When do a member get those a few, a high number, a quivering mountain, butler monkeys, little leprechauns, etc? Anybody knows?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Banned
    I believe it's not the value of the points but the count of submissions of points that the percentage counts...

ie:
    3 ap assignments of negative =30% negative
    7 ap assignments of positive = 70% positive

while keeping this in mind, that 30% could have a value of 75 points (3x25) while the 70% could only have a value of 70 points (7x10)

It depends who gives the points and how much push and pull they have with the balance of points...

Senior members with large AP counts give more points while Newbies only give out submissions of 5 to 10 points at a time....

(also, Members with low counts who give AP (gray dots) do count to the positive/negative balance, but give no points)

Hope this explains my theory....