Thread: Microsoft Introduces CD Copy-Protection 'Fix'

Arrow Microsoft Introduces CD Copy-Protection 'Fix'

Microsoft Introduces CD Copy-Protection 'Fix'
    CANNES, France (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news) announced on Saturday the introduction of new digital rights software aimed at helping music labels control unauthorized copying of CDs, one of the biggest thorns in the ailing industry's side.

Stung by the common practice of consumers copying, or "burning," new versions of a store-bought CD onto recordable CDs, music companies have invested heavily in copy-protection technologies that have mainly backfired or annoyed customers.

For example, most copy-proof CDs are designed so that they cannot be played on a PC, but often this prevents playback on portable devices and car stereos too.

Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's (6758.T) proprietary technology simply by scribbling a magic marker pen around the edges of the disc, thus enabling playback on any device.

Microsoft believes it may have come up with a solution. The new software is called the Windows Media Data Session Toolkit.

It enables music labels to lay songs onto a copy-controlled CD in multiple layers, one that would permit normal playback on a stereo and a PC.

$500 MILLION INVESTMENT

The PC layer, laid digitally on the same disc, can be modified by the content provider, so that they could prevent, for example, burning songs onto another CD, said David Fester, general manager, digital media entertainment for Microsoft.

Universal Music (EAUG.PA) and EMI (EMI.L), two of the biggest record labels in the world, "are very excited about this because it enables the industry to build a CD with their own protections built in," he said, speaking at the Midem music conference in southern France.

Microsoft has invested $500 million in digital rights management, or DRM, for music, Fester said. The Toolkit was co-developed with technology partners Phoenix-based SunnComm Technologies and France's MPO International Group, he added.

taken from Yahoo

Does Microsoft have the right to do this ?
    I wonder how long before someone hacks it !

What do you think guys ?

Dr_Evil

Thumbs down I see bad things coming....

I don't know, but it sounds like Microsoft. They are the big security phreaks around, putting so much time and effort into piracy protection on their software. You know what I see though, Microsoft being so tight with security on these CD's, it won't even work when you buy it out of a music store, and the customer will be forced to go online and find someone who has a crack or something just to be able to play the CD they bought. Or people will find the cracks to make it easier to play, rather than having to stand on their head and spin around 15 times while saying their 155 digit registration key backwards.

Personally, I like the way things are. I listen to a bunch of MP3's I download off Kazaa, then if I actually do like more than one track off a CD I go and buy the actual CD. I know there are a lot of people who don't. But even on that fact, if music companies are mad about the money they are loosing due to CD-burners, why not invest in companies that make CD-R/RW media? Then they would be making out like a bandit anyway!

Lastly, I know it's the whole point of the matter, don't illegally copy things that are not yours... so try you're best to put copy rights on them. But don't let people like Microsoft jump into the works and screw everything up and upset the customers more. The artical even said about how mad customers were that were not able to play the CD's in their cars or computers due to security. I don't know, I just see bad stuff coming from Microsoft jumping into the works. They always rush stuff out before it's ready, or make it so hard to use you'd rather be a cracker than an honest customer.

I think this will hurt the music industry as a whole. I am like you AciDriveHB I download songs but if I like more than one or two I will go out and buy the cd. Mp3's are a great way to let your band be heard cost effectively around the globe. My friends bad has landed gigs in surrounding states simply b/c he realeased some mp3's online, it also help's with the fan base too. On the other hand, it also helps in a way, I am a musician myself and I can see where bands are coming from. I wouldn't want my artwork ripped off as much as the next guy. If you really want to support a band go out and buy their cd, don't just rip it off.

treyain

For once this is something Microsoft isn't guilty of. Microsoft have no interest in audio CD copy protection any more than they do in other media protection stuff.

Effectively the US government is putting pressure on MS as the biggest manufacturer of home software to include these new features in its OS and / or change licencing on its products (i.e. Media Player) to theoretically enable them to police the flawed DMCA better.

Seeing as the US govn't owns Microsoft (or is it the other way around?) they insist on them doing things their way.

This is another good reason why people who don't live in the US should not use MS software, because it is effectively controlled by the US government. On the other hand, seeing as Europe is pretty much towing the party line on these issues, EU citizens may as well not bother either. It seems that the free world is getting smaller all the time.

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Re: Microsoft Introduces CD Copy-Protection 'Fix'

Originally posted here by Dr_Evil
    Universal Music (EAUG.PA) and EMI (EMI.L), two of the biggest record labels in the world, "are very excited about this because it enables the industry to build a CD with their own protections built in," he said, speaking at the Midem music conference in southern France.
    ROFL - They are excited because they can have "their own protections built in".... Bull doody!!!

Just like their attempts to change laws this is another example of the industry sitting on their fat duffs and doing nothing and now expecting everyone else to haul their asses out of the hole they dug for themselves. This protection is not theirs - it's Microsoft's plain and simple.... I just hope they stick to the absolute letter of the copyright laws...... And I hope Microsoft gouges the crap out of them for their laziness and laissez-faire attitude in the past.

And I don't copy CD's, d/l MP3's or anything...... I just hate seeing business not being responsible for their own screw-ups.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

it's bull$hit in my opinion. it doesn't bother me so much about the software side but on the music side it does.

Here is my personal reasons for my belief

About a year ago my car was broken into and i had about 200 cd's stolen. I learned a good lesson when this happened. insurance won't replace your cd's. So from this point on any cd in my car is a backup. I also have a mp3 capable deck now so instead of a couple hundred cd's in big cases I just have a small one with my mp3's in them. I own my cd's so i should be able to do this right?

Are these companies gonna pay me for any losses I incur because I can't do backups anymore?

I don't think so, they could give a **** about the consumers losses they only care about themselves.

Then again it really doesn't matter becaused it will be cracked a week after it is released.

What if you connected your hi-fi output up to your pc and recorded straight off that???
    [shadow]The hunter who chases two rabbits catches neither[/shadow] - Zen Master

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

The music business needs to wake up and discover a
    new approach to making money. From what I understand, they
    underprice concert tickets, cynically to please the fans, knowing
    that they will make tons of money on CD sales.

If you go to a concert, you see scalpers selling tickets at
    way over the "list" price. The promoters have practically
    given them away because they don't want to appear
    greedy.

It's time they started selling concert tickets to the top
    bidder, so they can make their real money on live
    performances. They could put the recordings on the internet
    free for the download.

Fans are no longer willing to pay for CDs, now that technology
    has made it possible to make free copies, but they are willing to pay top dollar to sit in the front row at a live show.
    This is the future. Get used to it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

This does sound like microsoft. but this wouldnt only stop people from pirating music, but it will also stop good paying customers from backing up their cd's. and i agree with treyain because if i find some good songs on the net or even a 'backup' of someone elses cd, i will usually go out and by an original just so i can say to myself, i have the original. but it really is the music companies decision in the end.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

I personally would like to tell the Record company's to shove it. The first year that Napster when BIG. CD sales went up. I personally bought cd's that I would have NEVER purchased if I hadn't said. . why not? I'll see what this sounds like, and download it.

besides, cd's are cheaper to make then a tape, and sound better. So, if they were made to cut costs, why are we paying double the price of a tape for them?

greed. . .just plain greed.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce