Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Michael Crichton -Prey

New Michael Crichton -Prey

Hi All,

The book is not strickly speaking about security but I think there a number of Sci Fi fans floating around this site.

The book revoles heavily around distrubuted system programing and Nano technology. It took me a little while to get into the book but once I did I found it difficult to put down. The story was well written and interesting. The biolography was several pages long and makes for additional interesting reading.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I happened to pick that book up in a grocery store about a week or so ago. Finished it a few days back and I must say that I was pretty impressed with the way he kept the story readable while discussing important issues about the future of nanotechnology. I'll reccommend it for anyone who wants a good read.
    \"A humanitarian is always a hypocrite.\" -George Orwell

thanks dspeidel ive been so out of touch i didn't even know he had a new book out. i like crighton..except for eaters of the dead. /me gets slammed like always for saying this.

ill make a point of picking it up
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Net Force series, and it's pretty good so far, all about internet security and hackers but set slightly in the future

and then for a bit of reality, there's a series by John Sandford. His most recent book "The Devils Code" It's pretty good, kinda a computer/mystery series, and if you go farther back in the books, you can tell when he wrote it, by the computers that the characters use. . it's an easy read.

for the uberfreaks who not only work on computers, play on computers, then. . . .read hardcopy about computers!

Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

i am a big fan of chrichton myself....surely will pick up that book...thx for the info

On my List

It's on my list of books to read!

~SonicDragon
    http://sonicdragon.fateback.com
    Bringing a Little Fun to Tech!

I wish that I had time to read. School prohibits this. My self reading list so far.

-a few tom clancy selections
    -snow shock
    -alice in wonder land (by direction of my little cuz )
    -and now the new Crichton

I have only read 2 of Crichton's books (adromida strain and the sphere) but i loved 'em both. thanks for the update, i've been out of the literature news stream as of late (again, due to school)
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    and then for a bit of reality, there's a series by John Sandford
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

i read his earlier tech book that wasn't too bad but sanford as i know his him is a VERY scary man. his prey series!!!.....brrrr. thanks...have to check out the devils code stuff. hes a good writer.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I enjoyed the Sandford prey series -I was worried when he started writing about vampires but it ended up being ok. I thought that "Chasing the Dime" by Michael Connelly was also very well done. Great book I read it on a flight across the country.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

On the Crichton series, would anyone recommend the Jurassic Park books?

I have Prey now and can't wait to dive in.