Thread: Flaw in GameSpy code

Flaw in GameSpy code

The article is two days old, so my apologies if it has been posted before (I did search before posting this). For all you online gamers out there, something to keep in mind.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-981255.html?tag=fd_top

Snippet:

Multiplayer game servers that let players attack each other in virtual worlds could be the latest tool for online scofflaws to digitally attack other computers on the Internet, a security firm said Thursday.
    The flaw occurs because servers that include the GameSpy networking code automatically send responses to queries for status information and don't verify the sender's address. An attacker can just ask the server for the information, but forge the data so that the packets appear to come from a fake address. When the game server responds, the large amount of information sent in reply goes to the target of the attack instead.
    Seems like a packet magnification style DoS attack (vulnerable to spoofing).

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

nebulus200,

Sorry buddy but this info was already posted in this thread here

No reason to apologize, it's OK!!!

Bye.

DKRR

Strange, not sure why my search didn't turn that up, but I definitely see why you know it was posted, guess my age is beginning to show a bit

Sorry for the mix up and rereference.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

To tell you, I am a big fan of online games, especially counter-strike. I do have Gamespy, and it is great i love it. Thank a lot nebulus for the heads up, well thanks to the person that posted this first.. I dont know who to thank.-Ebo