The Legendary "Hacker" Returns?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legendary "Hacker" Returns?

Banned

Talking The Legendary "Hacker" Returns?

Has the legendary so called "Hacker" returned to society from his long "log-off" period? Is Kevin Mitnick really back for good? Was he a real hacker? Or was he a cracker?

Check this topic out here.
    :-)

-Spyda

Banned
    Theres another topic similar to this on another page to which i also replied.

In short, i dont think he was all the media has cracked him up to be. He hacked, he got caught. All this talk of movies deals, etc, is just utter crap.

Anyway, its been what, how many years since he's used a computer? "Please dont +++ATH0 me!!". The methods of last year are gone, technology has changed dramatically since his hey day.

-Zenith

Banned
    LOL! You're right. It's mainly just fame, but he inspiried a lot of people, i believe. He was definately not a "Hacker" but a "Cracker" by stealing. It is completely wrong that he became a celeb and i think the people who caught him should be the ones making the movies etc. (Not that hackers 2 was a great hit though).

*good crackers dont get caught*
    The more spam the better.

Banned
    No, people that crack good, im asuming thats what you meant rather than a ethical cracker (NO SUCH THING), are meant to be caught. Good hackers don't need to be caught.
    -Spyda

Talking Thats Right!

*good crackers dont get caught*
    No, they just get crumbled up in my chili bowl...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

lol true that -- No im not a cracker I was just saying that how good could you be if you get caught, not that you should be doing that anyways...
    The more spam the better.

Banned
    Oh, blah, all this 'cracker' and 'hacker' bullshit, people use the words when they feel like it and change the meaning around, if its something 'cool' then the guy is a hacker if its something that you suddenly think is wrong then the guy is a 'cracker', its all the same noise when it comes down to it, i really dont belive in the term 'cracker'.

Aside from that, in my opinion Kevin Mitnick WAS a Hacker(so to speak, same **** as cracker). Everyone keeps saying he had no skill, he was just a social engineer and not a real hacker, well ill be damned if even 1% of you could do what he did back in the day. Im not praising him at all, dont get me wrong, but i am saying he had to have been a pretty damn smart guy to get as far as he did, and evade the FBI for as long as he did.

Another thing is, if he wanted to(not sure) he is still into computers as much as any other person, he was only ristricted from the internet itself, and not computer use, so he could of been fooling around w. computers. And books teach alot more then you think, he had ALOT of time for nothing but reading and research, I belive he still probably has the interest of 'computer security' in mind, but wont do anything illegal, jailtime will do that to ya.

Banned

Lightbulb

Yes Dome I agree with you! I was not saying he is nothing,
    It's mainly just fame, but he inspiried a lot of people, i believe
    as i said, he DID and DOES inspire people. I still disagree with your cracker and hacker terminology, but Kevin was the real deal back then, and he is still milking it for all its worth (the fame part). I believe he also had some kind of restriction on the type of info in books he was allowed to read, but you are probably right, because a lot of true info is posted in books and sold. He is probably still good at computers and will be interesting to see what he does, but Big Bro is watchin, i think they are more interested in what he will try and pull, rather than what he is capable of doing. They might hire him for all we know, just for the publicity, or maybe b/c of who he is, and he was the first to figure out whatever he did. Just a thought
    -Spyda

No im not a cracker I was just saying that how good could you be if you get caught, not that you should be doing that anyways...
    Glad to know that Messanger_spam welcome to AO

Everyone keeps saying he had no skill, he was just a social engineer and not a real hacker, well ill be damned if even 1% of you could do what he did back in the day.
    Dome, Have you ever used a real BBS? I mean like befor the internet happened. I ran one back in the 80's, I am sure that is where he recieved a lot of his knowledge. I remember using wardialers to find computers with modems many years ago...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?