View Poll Results: Which method would you use?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to test the software/OS, but I really couldn\'t be bothered:

0 0%
  • Build a computer to test the software/OS on:

3 42.86%
  • Use an exsisting computer I have, just format/load:

4 57.14%
  • Use something like Virtual PC or VMware:

0 0%
  • Other:

0 0%

Thread: New on AntiOnline.....I need some help to secure my computer

New on AntiOnline.....I need some help to secure my computer

Hi everybody I am a new member of this site and I am worried about my computer system security ,,,,, I have firewall for security but is the firewall enough or should I make some changes on my system to make my computer more secure.
    I am really looking forward for all of your helpful tips.

There's a good tutorial by prodikal on securing a computer:

Complete Newbies Guide to Securing Your Home Computer

There's also some more information in that thread in the replies which you may want to look at.

Its always a good idea to lock down your file system and use encryption if you are parinoid.
    Update your virus scanner frequently and ALWAYS apply patches.

What OS are you using?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

owls if you post more about what you have you find a bunch of people helping.

what OS ...all the latest patchs?
    what FW and how is it configured?
    dial-up or broadband.

did something happen that has made you security concious?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thank you Phishphreek80 and Powertoad 5000 for your reply. I am using MS windows xp home edition.

A few other worth while tutorials

Jehnny: How To Lock Down Your Windows XP Box
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237662

RiOtEr: net bios hacking
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=228778
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Thanks all of you out there I really appriciate help. To be honest with you all I didn't thought that I am going to get positive responses so fast. Thanks a lot. I am using norton internet security and systemtools. I am also using PGP. Because from last couple of months my firewall is keep stoping the attacks on my system and my firewall always pops up the message that someone is trying to get through the computer. That made me really worried about the intigrity of my computer and I joined the antionline. I really liked the idea of this website to keep crackers out.

Because from last couple of months my firewall is keep stoping the attacks on my system and my firewall always pops up the message that someone is trying to get through the computer. That made me really worried about the intigrity of my computer and I joined the antionline. I really liked the idea of this website to keep crackers out.
    You came here for a really good reason. That is one of the reasons I came here for.
    I didn't know all that much then, but now I know scores more. AO is a great community of people just itching to help you. Just make sure you mind your manners and read the FAQ(s) and all.

I don't think you could have come to a better place to learn! Just my opinion of course.

I've only been here a little over a year, and I'm so much more into security. Its awesome.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

A firewall's only as good as you make it. Home built hardware firewalls, running free software such as that from bbiagent.com and setup on an old 486 are excellent. Also uncheck client for micosoft networks in your bindings of your nic.

well owls you didn't tell us the kind of your internet connection......i mean is it dial up or cable?if it is a dialup connection an often updated antivirus and a good configured firewall,would be nice.you also have to be updated!what i mean with that?you have to update the programs you work with quite often.but don't forget that you don't have a website or something important.i mean you are just a home user.
    the case becomes tougher when you have cable internet connection.this means that you are online all the time!so you have to do much more things in order to protect your privacy such as bugtraqqing etc.Slowly you will find yourself being a security phreak....
    www.rootforge.com