Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop AC Adapter Connection Problem

Talking Don't worry mathgirl32

I have been into hardware since the '70s if you want to fix it bad enough, you will, have a little faith in yourself, remove the screws, carefully examine it visually, have a cup of your favorite beverage, lock the doors, shut the windows, unplug the phones, and fix it...easy as 123....

I would also try to hold off on the MacGyver fix as a last resort, and pliers in the jack?...that makes my skin crawl kinda like fingernails scratching a chalkboard.....eeewwwwww!!
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3

Got a Visual!

I opened it up....but unfortunately it's it's as you indicated, aeallison. The adapter casing is loose where it connects to the mobo. When I pressed in on it I could see a small spark when it would connect. I actually got a few things out to "rig" it, then after trying to insert the bubble gum and paper clip (just kidding, it was electrical tape and toothpicks) I decided against it. So if I have to I'll just fix it on the outside for now. Ultimately, this is not the best idea, either....I think the constant "forcing" is only going to worsen things.

Working on this laptop sure makes me appreciate my desktop box! Laptops are like foreign cars -- everything is closed off, covered up, hard to get to, and expensive to repair. A tower -- it's just like a big Chevy.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

"like foreign cars -- everything is closed off, covered up, hard to get to, and expensive to repair."

like MACS (Sowly dont get offended i had to crack at least one joke )

well then it does sound like you should go through HP's support folks.. unless you think
    you can re-solder the connections.. as it's new.. and because you probably don't want
    to void the warranty..

as for the time you think it'll take to get it repaired.. it may not be as bad as you think.
    I had a dell lattitude that went thru 4 mobos.. the service rep ordered the part and
    when it came in (the next day) he came over to my house and replaced it on the spot..

Don't you hav a soldering tool mathgirl? while its apart where you can see a spark is the time to fix it, I have a Compaq and have had to do this twice now. If not maybe a friend at your schools electronics lab or one of the lab professors could solder it for you, it should only take a couple of seconds to solder it once it is exposed.

Nope! Not a soldering tool to my name. I was thinking I would just take it to a local place here that someone recommended, but I like your idea, too. I never even considered the school. Thanks, aeallison!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Hi Mathgirl.Well all I can say it is sometimes the only way to learn and you will definitely benefit from the whole experience.I think a lot of us started to learn how to fix computers that way because you just did not have the money to get experienced people to teach you what to do and how.I personally have started that way and Imust admit that I have had trouble along the way but the learning experience was what kept me going.Today I am greatfull because I am now able to teach others less fortunate than me which makes it worthwhile.Oh and we are lucky here at AO we can just ask around and help is almost 24hrs a day available.Thanks to everybody.Go ahead you will ejoy the experience and Imust admit that you will be frustrated by putting it back together, but still.Loose connections always turn to cause hot connections so yeah putting it off was indeed a good idea.

regards
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Talking

My Baby is Back!!!

....and good as new!

I read a post not too long ago indicating that we should let everyone know when we get something fixed/figured out, etc. after posting for advice. So anyway, I got my laptop back today. It's better than new and It took only 24 hours! So...thanks to all of you for your help and advice -- I really appreciated it.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Did it cost you? Just curious if you took it to the schools electronics lab I suppose. I really wish I could see my old high school electronics teacher one last time before I move on to another existance. He really imbedded a lot of solid morals into me. I think he would be proud to know I have lived my life on his teachings...

aeallison, that's really cool about your teacher - I've got one like that, too.

I didn't take it to the school's electronics lab only because "time" was the most important factor to me. But I think that is an excellent idea. I called about 20 places with prices ranging from a $50 flat fee (though he worried me a little) to around $200. Some treated me with respect others did not, and some were complete morons. I went with (what I think is) an excellent place -- awesome rates, the owner was the one working on my laptop, quick turn around time, just great in every area...I rarely find this kind of service! They also build machines and sell parts wholesale, so they may turn into an all-round good contact.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery