Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, this is a rant! But girls can be geeks too!

Ok, this is a rant! But girls can be geeks too!

I cant believe what happened today! I actually had someone (new of course) tell me that "girls can't fix computers!" (he was serious too!) I couldn't believe my ears. He had reported a computer problem to my boss, and she forwarded the message to me. (I'm the only tech we have at our site.) When I went to fix his "Computer not starting" problem, he actually told me that. I can't believe it! Yea, he's an older guy, but com'mon...I thought that his kind were dead! I just walked out, and went right to my boss, and told her about the problem. Well she bitched him out big time, and he apologized.

wanna know what his fre@kin problem was?

"Non-system Disk, replace and strike any key to continue"

I had fun laughing at him for a few minutes until I reached down, ejected the floppy, and pushed the the enter key.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest, it just sooooo pissed me off. Do any other girls out there get treated like this?
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

did you fix it then rub it in his face and make him feel stupid? this kind of person is old fashioned and nieve. i work with 4 females who all fix computers and some of them are very good. I left my girlfriend when i went to work the other day ( she has barely ever touched a computer) and when i returned she was doing stuff i never expected it was very cool heh
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Humm... "Non-system Disk, replace and strike any key to continue"... Sounds pretty bad!

Actually, I think the message is really meant to be: "Non-system Disk, replace user and strike him with a large key. continue"

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

hee hee hee. . .well he was pretty red-faced when I was walking out of the room...still laughing
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

You're absolutely right. So many people think that girls don't know about computers... how wrong they are.

I have some very smart girls in my classes and where I work.
    I actaully learn more from them partnering up with them because guys tend to be a bit lazy.

I'm not knocking any chicks here, so don't take it personal. I'm speaking from personal experience. This also applies to guys... just not as much from my experience.

The only thing I'd have to say is... girls have so much emotion. Not that its a bad thing... but the girls I've worked with and done school projects with couldn't work all that well under pressure. They'd start freaking at every little thing that went wrong.

That doesn't apply to ALL girls, just the ones I've worked with so far. Even my boss. She is smart as hell, but doesn't work well under pressure. She's always calling me for the littlest things... freaks for no reason. LoL

Good for you for sticking up for yourself though. I don't know if I would have told my boss... so many people say stuff like that to me. Most of the time they're joking... but then I can go back and bust their chops too. Good way to relieve some stress.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thinking of it though, this means the floppy is in the boot sequence. Security wise, you might want to consider taking it off the boot sequence or at least after the hard drive... Just so your users don't boot from a ntfsdos or linux "password reset" floppy and screw your installs (and set bios password of course). Might not be relevent to your situtation but generally a good idea.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

ha ha

Very good idea. thank you for the contribution. I've got the bios passwords, if they do anything to screw up the system, I just re-image them with labexprt. I keep clean images of my systems on a seperate server. All they'd screw up is their personal documents. But, I will keep that info in mind if I ever get a real job where I care about what they do.
    Clare Boothe Luce

Every girl I have every met who has technical experience and ability with everything from computers to cars I have found sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxy as hell. My other thought is that while many women are emotional and yes PMS and other such things may play a role (I got the permission of a girl and her backing to say that) most women are understanding, intelligent people who are willing to work hard because they know that they have to over come stereotypes to succeed which results in them being successful as hell. (My college is 66% female and 33% male... Hehehe....
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

Banned
    Something similair happend to me awhile back...

Not to long after reformatting my uncle's PC I decided to take it for a test drive.
    I was bored so I loged into IRC just to see the lame remarks rioter would toss at me. Anyways... there was this guy crying about how his speakers aren't working. So I asked if he installed any new sound cards...
    I asked what OS and speakers he owned....
    At that point I was about to tell him to bring the speakers back to the store but instead I asked him to shake the wires to the speakers. It kinda sounded dumb and then he yells

!!!!!GOD!!!!!
    Wow what happend, man? I know it sounds stupid but just try and see, I say.
    Then he says, No im not talking about you... heck you were right!
    What?
    Then he says, There must be a short in the wires or something.

Hummm.... From the way he was typeing !!!Gezz...!!! and !GOD! in caps-lock I thought he was angry at me or something.

As for having ladies in the tech scene... HEHEHEH My mom works in a job similair to tech-support and my grandma programed a few years intil she actually became admin. It was my grandma who taught me the inner workings of PCs and my mom supplied me with VB and a bunch of books to read. So I guess everything I know about PCs should be credited to them.

Purdy cool 'eh???
    All the jargon around the house kinda makes my dad feel a little left out thought
    Alot of peaple here call me stupid because I type so fast and sloppy that it is annoying... *cough 'roiter' *cough

But its cool to see someone who has their sights set on the things they want or the things that they beleave in & can prove that appearences & sterotypes is useless/pointless...

Hehe.. :lol:

I don't know what to say, maybe it shoul write
    "There is a disk, put it off, so the computer can start windows"..

Hehehe...
    Now i just can follow the other..
    Later and Next Other Must Follow Me..