Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition & Boot Utility

Banned

Partition & Boot Utility

Anyone know of a good free partition and boot utility program.

fdisk
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Banned
    I have xp and it doesnt work.

One with a GUI please

The XP equivalent of fdisk is Diskpart.

I have seen on some places that you can't use it from within the GUI of XP, and you have to boot from the install cd, but I'm not sure if this is true. You can certainly start it up, but I'm not sure if you can edit partitions (it's only my main PC that has XP, so I can't test it out unfortunately!).

If you need any more help with booting from the cd (to recovery mode) see the M$ website here
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

well partition magic is a real good utility and is not really expensive.

Banned
    I want a FREE one ive heard of partition magic im 14 and my parents wont buy a $70 piece of software nor do i have the money for that.

You should be able to create the partitions you need with a bootable CD or Floppy and diskpart (C:\windows\system23\). Problem is, you'll need to re-install your OS one one of the partitions, or do a full backup prior to creating the new partitions. Kinda depends on your resources. It won't do the dynamic re-partition that PartitionMagic will do, and if you have XP running the current NTFS, you want to make sure you have the most current version of PartitionMagic before messing with the NTFS partitions.

Banned
    i already have an NTFS partition and i want to install linux to have a dual boot system. should i create an extended partition or primary

It depends on how you want to configure your boot. If you have an NTFS partition and want to install Linux on another, Linux will create its own partition on the available unpartitioned space and install the lilo tool in the boot sector as well (I'm using my ancient experience with RedHat as reference--so somebody shoot me down if I'm wrong). If you have sufficient open space on the drive, you're ready to fly.

Banned
    Thanks