• Linux

11 42.31%
  • other, if you can think of any.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 31 Ways To Make Your Computer More Secure

Thumbs up 31 Ways To Make Your Computer More Secure

Just found this one second ago :

This one is not for oldies, just people who dont know a thing about computer security, just wanta learn, it's a good start :

http://www.denvertax.com/varbus/secu...MoreSecure.pdf

This one is for people who like to transact through credit cards : Here
    American Express Publishing : http://www.amexpub.com/privacy/security.html

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

good links invader, but I don't think online transaction never were safe to begin with.
    Maybe because the people running this software is only concern with getting rich or something they have no thought about is their service secure

Lightbulb

Well, maybe earlier there were not enough crackers on the circuit.
    But yeah, i think there's been a lot of breach of security in recent days. It's all good.

all the online transactions I do, including mail, go over https with a good browser that has no session-hijacking vulnerability..

I don't use a credit card, I use a normal Rabobank card and a cardreader..

It lets you type hashed codes that are a combination of your pin code the time and the card..

So I feel secure enough..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Well, there are ways to make credit card transfers secure. That depends on the security on both sides (client and server) By default (a family with their little home pc on windows using IE with no sense for security) are very unsafe. It takes more than the server side to secure a transaction. With no extra security knowledge its not possible to secure such a thing (since IE only allows encryption upto 256 bits). Solutions are CIPE, or any other forms of tunneling with higher encryption capabilities (1024, 2048 bit encryption) But for the "normal" home user, its never secure. It would need someone to setup CIPE or any other form of tunneling (not to forget it has to be compatible with the server) to set up the connection between the client and server. Also the client needs security such as logging, (also someone to actually read the logs), uptodate AV, no keyloggers or any other form of spyware, which in most cases is not worth the fuss todo. It would be too expensive to make this happen for every client (home user). Unless the client is an AO member .

The reason why i choose IE for my example is, that most online banking or credit card transactions require IE, and not because of my hate towards the MS OS.

Anyways, lets get back to reality. To answer the question....yes, it is "possible" to secure credit card transactions online.

If anyone wants more detail on how this is possible, reply here and i'll get back for more answers.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

best way is to use proxies...or anonymizer plugin for IE.

The opinion on the poll is interestingly divided.
    I thought that transactions arent safe anymore.

https can be spoofed usin WebNymiZe...

considering it is very easy to get the magnetic strip to transfer to another card with certain medias, your credit cards/debit cards aren't totally safe IRL either.

So, like always, be careful where your money goes and who you give numbers to. Any flaw has an inherit exploit and some bored kid is going to find a way to use that to their advantage.

and considering the trend, money seems to be getting transferred electronically more and more, so as the use progresses, so will the technology (its an endless cycle)
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Thanks for that one.