Thread: Media Player uninstalling problem...

Media Player uninstalling problem...

Guys,

Is there a way to uninstall Windows Media Player 9 Series?

I have tried from Control Panel / Add-Quit Windows programs but it doesn't uninstall it from there, i just reboot the PC and it is still there.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks.

DKRR

It's a gas!
    Apparently not on ME and XP, DKRR!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

You gotta use your system restore function to rid your box of it, which isnt a very viable option...

HTH

I know not -but if you find a way let me know. I too need to uninstall it.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

if you're using xp and had created a system restore point.. then you can just roll back the date.
    if you didn't, you probably are sol.
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...december09.asp

I suppose also if you had used roxio's "goback" software you could of done the same.

edit: r3b00+.. you beat me too it.. you must type faster than me..

Most of the time... XP will create the restore point for you.

If you have shut off that service at ANY time since that install... you are SOL. XP dumps it when you disable the service.

Depending on size of dirve and what and you've installed since your WMP9 "upgrade" determines if your restore point is still there. You have to specify how much space to let it use.

I have a 80gig drive and I think mine has about 2 months worth of restore points. it goes back even further, as I don't install/uninstall too much on this PC.

EDIT: Keep in mind that anything you have installed since WMP9 will have to be reinstalled. Same with system settings. Services, registry, wallpaper, themes, drivers... you name it. All except for your data. You shouldn't* loose any data.

During the "roll back" it creates a restore point before you do the restore. You can always change it back to the way you had it before you did the restore. Though, it doesn't hurt to have a CD/TAPE media backup that is up2date.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phishphreek80,

Thanks, i'm really aware of the issues related to the "System Restore" option. The problem is my system restore is full of restore points to choose but, for example, i have tried to restore the system to December 15 when i installed Windows Media Player 9 Series but when the PC reboots it says that the system couldn't be restored. I can't restore my system to a previous point since a few months ago. It doesn't matter which date i choose, it won't restore it and gtive me an error always. ah!!!, and i have everything activated for the system restore to work correctly.

Thanks anyway.

DKRR

I see only two solutions to your problem if you can't restore your system:
    - find (somewhere on the web) the name of Windows media Player 9 files and delete them, plus delete the registries entries about it. A program like RegCleaner could help you, but I guess this method will not work correctly.
    - Reinstall Windows. It's rude, but efficient if this uninstalling is really needed.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I had this problem too... until I installed SP1 for XP. Have you done that?

Source:
    A fix for SR failing restores. A lot of you were seeing failed restores when restoring to any restore point. Although some of it was attributed to SR data store corruption, in most cases it was possibly due to locked file issues causing the restore process to fail, especially in cenarios where fast user switching was used. This was a known issue which is now fixed in in SP1.
    How do you have the way the users logon? Fast user switching? Or do you require each user to signon? You can change the way a user(s) log on in control panel.

If I remember correctly, change it to the new Xp view, and choose the option for "change the way a user logs on". Its worth a shot.

Make sure you are logging in as admin and not just a under privledged account.

I've had all these problems and more with XP when I first got it. I found the easiest way for me was to just do a format and reinstall. It was faster than doing all that research, and it performs remarkably faster and more stable on a new install with fresh service packs.
    Dunno why?... I hate it when people tell me to format and install and then I became determined to fix the problems without doing all that. Sometimes it would take me several days to get answers, but it'd only take me 2hrs to do a reinstall and configure it again... thanks to my backups. Anywho...

I'll see what else I can dig up.

You might want to have a go at it from command prompt... read about that here .
    I have never done this... so thats all I can tell you about it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.