Thread: no more updates for Adaware 5.x

no more updates for Adaware 5.x

I saw a thread from a guy who proported to be an ex admin from Lavasoft's forum.
    (althought he didn't answer me when i pressed him if he was the actual person who wrote it)
    I'll include the post here..

I truly hate that it has come to this. Lavasoft's Ad-aware used to be a fine product. Not only was it the only free solution for finding and destroying advertising spyware, it was also a good program. However, Lavasoft has abandoned Ad-aware 5.83. Support is still offered at their support forums and via email, but the program is no longer being updated to handle new spyware targets. In fact, I feel that it is necessary to recommend to everyone that they simply remove Ad-aware version 5 entirely. Using it in its current, unupdated form can be, and has been proven to be dangerous.

Ad-aware has not had a reference file update since September 24. I've personally submitted over a dozen new spyware/hijacker targets and lord knows how many updates to old spyware/hijackers. Other developers on my private mailing list update when new targets are submitted to them. Lavasoft has not.

Take Common Name for example. I sent out a special alert about this and even asked all of my readers to post the warning on various message boards about how Common Name can damage your internet connection when removed improperly (thank you for doing that). It is a very dangerous piece of software if you remove it wrong, and thankfully most people took the warnings seriously.

Lavasoft did nothing to update its removal routines for the Common Name toolbar to protect its users. This means that using Ad-aware in its current state to remove CommonName Toolbar will leave you without an internet connection. This is not theory, it is fact. I've seen it happen to people.

Lavasoft has stated numerous times that the current version will not be further updated so that the next version 6 can be developed. Version 6 is now three and half weeks overdue, with no explanation of why it is not out yet, or any estimate of when it will be released.

Consider this for a moment. What if your anti-virus product suddenly stopped updating its detection files for months on end? What if dozens of new virii were released in the wild, and older virii mutated? You are stuck unprotected by a product that now cannot work properly. Would you demand your money back?

Are you one of the many who shelled out $15 USD for Ad-aware Plus so that you could have real-time protection against spyware installation? I don't know what Lavasoft's refund policy is, but personally I'd be looking it up if I had purchased this abandoned product.

Don't bother going to their support forums to complain about it. They have now made it a policy to delete postings which they do not like. They deleted posts by the founder of Comet Cursor in a running thread asking how to get Comet Cursor removed as a target. A representative of Spyware Nuker (see below) not only had his posts deleted, they actually banned his IP address from the boards. They've even had the gall to delete some of my posts, and I used to be an administrator there. It makes you wonder what Lavasoft has to hide that they have to delete posts and ban the posters like that. Several moderators and administrators have resigned in disgust over this practice, myself included.

For these reasons, SpywareInfo will no longer host, mirror, or provide links to any Lavasoft software. I cannot endorse a product which could wreak havoc on the users system simply because the company refuses to update it.

There are four main alternatives for spyware detection and removal which I recommend. For removing advertising spyware, I recommed either the free Spybot S&D, or the $29.95 Aluria Spyware Eliminator.

For removing surveillance spyware, keyloggers, and password stealing trojans, I recommend either the $69.95 Spycop, or the $39.95 X-Cleaner.

Please note that all of those except Spybot are affiliates. Purchasing them using the links provided will generate a commission for SpywareInfo. This has nothing to do with their recommendation here. Spybot is the most highly recommended of the four.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 12/28:
    It seems that the publicity about this matter prompted Lavasoft to release a response several hours after this newsletter was released. While it's sad that it took this sort of publicity to elicit a response from them after so long, at least they are now admitting that the current version cannot be used for many recent spyware/hijackware programs.

To all,
    It has become apparent that many people are concerned with the lack of updates for Ad-aware 5.83. We acknowledge this and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. The reasons for this are as follows:
    1) The 5x engine is old and to keep ahead of our target base needs to be replaced. Are we saying it is bad or ineffective? No. But to effectively and safely remove many new targets and those older ones, which have changed/mutated, we would need to do a major upgrade of 5.83 and it’s reference file as well.
    2) The 5x engine (in its current configuration) cannot handle many of the new targets correctly. As stated in #1, the entire Ad-aware executable would need to be rewritten.
    3) We have been hard at work on that very upgrade, but where this is different is in WHAT we are upgrading to. As many of you already know, we are/were working on version 6. It is an entirely new application; more powerful, expandable, configurable, and to be quite honest, light years ahead of version 5.83. We decided that any further upgrades beyond 5.83 would be more of a waste of time than productive as the coding work for version 6 was already underway. We therefore decided to place all of our efforts into the new version.
    4) As with any endeavor started from scratch, we ran into several delays and complications as proposed features didn’t work correctly or were not compatible with the new version. We apologize for the delays but they were unavoidable.

We are however notifying you (our customers and the general public) that we have entered into the late stages of beta testing. Except for some minor polishing and some last minute initial bug fixes, we are nearly done and should be ready to release Ad-aware 6 to our customers mid January 2003 and to our freeware users at the beginning of February 2003. Please be patient and we are confident that when you see what we have to offer you will understand AND appreciate the time taken to make it the best solution available!
    searching around with google didn't help me find much on what this guy posted but
    I did manage to find the thread at Lavasoft's forum (the edit 12/28 part onwards)
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index...=ST&f=1&t=1868

so I guess the deal is.. we'll all have to wait until version 6 release.. which should be soon

That would really suck if they decided not to continue with the product. I don't think they realized how many people use this product and how big the spyware issue is to many many users. I hope they continue to offer it for free. Thanks a bunch for the information! I will have to break the news at work since we use this.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I am sorry for that, I used Ad-Aware a while ago and was pleased with it. Try PestPatrol. I use it and the new version (4.1) is quite good.

personally i think its bullshit. but if it does come down to that there always

SpyBot Search and Destroy:

http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

As far as I know Ad-aware subscribers (pay version) should have ver: 6 this month, while the free ver of Ad-aware should be out sometime in February.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

i do think they know how many people use AdAware; it was into the millions when they took over the development from ..... (can't remember his name right now) out in Silicon Valley. i went over to Spyware S&D some time ago, but was kind of put off by the caveat, something like; "don't blame us if this thing crashes your computer...", or something close. Several AO'ers have said it's great, but then i'm not in the mood to rebuild my main 'puter right now.

yeah Tedob1.. spybot is a good app. one can't really just depend only on one app
    for this as well as for trojan scanners.. Pest petrol is another good app.. it's found
    things that adaware missed. plus it scans for memory resident stuff.. trojans, etc.

now I see that adaware has released version 6

from this thread at their forum posted by coldmoon
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index...=ST&f=1&t=2669
    Posted: Jan 27 2003, 05:44 PM
    To all our valued customers and users,

We are proud to announce the release of the all-new Ad-aware 6.0 Plus and Professional Editions. You have been the source of our continued growth and the reason we do what we do. All registered users will be receiving a notification of the release that will include a download link, username and password as they always have. Contrary to many rumors that have been spread of late, you will NOT have to reregister or pay any additional fees to get your upgrade from the current version.

Here is a quick look at the differences between the Plus and Professional versions:

Feature...................................................................Plus.....Professional

Enhanced Data Base................................................Yes.....Yes
    Basic command line parameters...............................Yes.....Yes
    Standard version plugins and extensions...................Yes.....Yes
    Automated scanning................................................Yes.....Yes
    Automated Blocking.................................................Yes.....Yes
    Plus version plugins and extensions...........................Yes.....Yes
    Professional only plugins and extensions....................Yes.....Yes
    Popup Blocking........................................................Yes.....Yes
    Active X Blocking......................................................Yes.....Yes
    Browser hijack and IE download Blocking...................Yes......Yes
    Customizable scanning..............................................Yes.....Yes
    Ad-watch 3.0 real-time monitor..................................Yes.....Yes
    Registry protection...................................................Yes.....Yes
    Executable file extension protection............................Yes.....Yes
    Improved safety and redundant backups....................Yes.....Yes
    Improved logging capability......................................Yes.....Yes
    Free E-mail support..................................................Yes.....Yes
    Advanced filtering....................................................Yes.....Yes
    Full featured quarantine support................................Yes.....Yes
    Printable reports................................................................Yes
    Process Browser................................................................Yes
    Additional command line parameters....................................Yes
    Additional menu and export options for reports.....................Yes
    Professional only plugins and extensions...............................Yes
    Mapped network and ram drive scanning..............................Yes

With the Professional edition we have included a powerful Process Browser that offers more than an ordinary process monitor. It has been designed to completely support our all-new Plugin and Extension interface and the exporting features that are only available with the Plus and Professional Editions. It allows using installed extensions on, browsing, scanning and terminating of running processes.

We are also announcing an all-new website! It has been professionally designed for ease of use and greater interactivity. We hope you enjoy visiting it as much as we enjoyed watching it being made.

Please be patient as we are using staggered notification for more efficient downloading and traffic control. If you do not receive your notice within a few days of this announcement, please let us know and we will get the situation rectified.

Standard (free) Edition users will be able to obtain a copy within a week of this notification.