Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TurboTax Includes RegWorm and Spyware

Thumbs down TurboTax Includes RegWorm and Spyware

For those of you that love spyware. It appears that the new version not only has a pretty intensive activation process but it has additional stuff that checks things like if the CD is being copied....

Check out the article...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,834915,00.asp
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Funny how things play out. When TurboTax first became successful -- in a DOS version in the '80s -- it was because it was the smallest, fastest easiest to use tax program. Once it became number one, it became the most bloated, slowest and most complicated tax program. And now it's sending reports back to the mothership, too.

Originally posted here by Gus Venditto
    Funny how things play out. When TurboTax first became successful -- in a DOS version in the '80s -- it was because it was the smallest, fastest easiest to use tax program. Once it became number one, it became the most bloated, slowest and most complicated tax program. And now it's sending reports back to the mothership, too.
    Hmm..... started off small, got to be #1, then became bloated, slow, and spying on customers....I can think of 2 other companies that fit that description?

Anyway, that is disturbing. Interesting read!

Thumbs up

This is the second such report that I've heard on this year's Turbo Tax.
    I have used that product for years, but not for my 2002 return.
    Thanks for the info.

They need to know we will not put up with it. I tried to send this note to them via their corporate feedback link (didn't work though, imagine that! Who knows? Maybe they will read it here. ;-)

Intuit:

I have been a Turbo Tax user for several years now and have enjoyed the ease with which I can prepare my tax returns--I recently even purchased Quicken 2003 and find it quite useful.

HOWEVER, I am APPALLED by your recent inclusion of the Safecast DRM components. It offends me that I, a law abiding, honest, legal user of software should be treated as a potential thief, subjected to to installation of DRM software on my machine which creates additional overhead on the system and increases the likelihood of software environment conflicts, and left in the dark concerning the inclusion of nefarious DRM software without prominent visible indication thereof on the outside of the package.

Fortunately, I have not yet opened or installed my copy of Turbo Tax and should be able to return it for a full refund.

As a computer professional, I must counter indicate the usage of software that I view as unsafe to my friends and relatives.

I hope this helps you understand a little better that your supporters will not support you through the muck surrounding the DRM bandwagon. We will find someone who trusts us and deserves, in return, our trust. I will not entrust my financial data to a company that exhibits such behavior.

I do not illegally copy software and therefore find Digital Rights Management an extreme inconvenience at best. More often, it interferes with legitimate uses of software duly licensed.

Sincerely,

"RocketJuice" , former customer

Angry

Hay,
    Does any body know if 'TaxCut' is doing the same thing?

cybnut
    cybnut

I just purchased it and Taxcut is NOT doing the same thing.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

A friend of mind couldn't even get turbo tax to work. their techs said she needed to turn off her firewall and av!!
    If you go to www.irs.gov you can get these programs withou downloading them and if you make under 28g's the filing is free-I used h&r block and though the pages loaded slow it was the easiest return I have ever done.
    Thanks for the info I will go clean out her 'puter!!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Originally posted here by mmelby
    I just purchased it and Taxcut is NOT doing the same thing.
    The article I read in Forbes or WSJ recommended TaxCut because it does not do the same thing.

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I fully agree with RocketJuice. To let them get away with this without a word is to say we fully agree with them.

Please take a moment to let them know how you think. Ive taken the liberty of condensing RocketJuice’s letter to make it more generic. You can copy and paste it or use your own words but please let them know what you think.

Copy between lines
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+

I find your implementation of Digital Rights Management in Turbo-Tax offensive and will not buy another Intuit product while it continues.

Being a Computer Professional I must also recommend against the purchase of Intuit products to those who trust in my advice.

Thank You
    A Former Customer

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    and paste here:

https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corporate.asp

This is a link from which Intuit would like to hear your opinion…give it to them but please be adult about it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”