Thread: Someone to compete against Microsoft...

Post Someone to compete against Microsoft...

I just heard about it last night on Fox News. I tried looking on the forum to see if anyone else posted anything about it, but didn't find it. So if I missed your post, sorry for repeating. But I just had to share this with everyone, thought you guys would be interested.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...sk-cover_x.htm

That is a link to an artical that talks about how Huston Texas is basically trashing all their Microsoft software, and moving towards a new company called SimDesk (http://www.simdesk.com).

The nation's fourth-largest city rebuffed the offer and has embraced an obscure competitor called SimDesk. SimDesk delivers software over the Internet at a fraction of the cost of Microsoft's Office, a software suite used on 94% of America's office personal computers. Houston is giving SimDesk to tens of thousands of residents and businesses, free. And it has begun using SimDesk as an Office substitute on at least half the city's 13,000 PCs.

The artical also has a page that talks about the pros and cons with using SimDesk software compared to Micrsoft's Office suite.

One other thing I want to mention that might grade a tech's attention is:

Created from scratch to deliver Web services. Uses special coding that is more efficient than HTTP, the transport protocol invented to deliver Web pages. To juice up HTTP, for instance, to deliver an online calendar to 50,000 users, requires rooms full of servers running multiple software applications. SimDesk could handle millions of users on a single server.
    MMMM , I wish I could be in Huston right now to get some free stuff to try!

It's about time the people seen the light and dump M$.
    it's just my opinon dunno.
    great post acidriveHB

Thanks I agree totally. And by the sounds of it, if someone can make applications like MS - that run better and take less computer/server power, think how things might change shortly? I'd be interested in seeing SimDesk be up there and push Microsoft around a little bit.Then maybe Microsoft will get off their @$$'s and start putting software together that doesn't take a spuer computer to run, and maybe bring the price down. They wonder why people pirate their software. If I wasn't in IT, I may never see half the stuff M$ makes.

Developer Extraordinar
    In my opion Microsoft has gone on like they have for so long, today, I acctually tried to download Windows .NET RC2, but I failed to do so, becasue I was on Linux, and they say I need a "Win32" system to. Anyways about the post, there's been other try to stand up to the giant. Most failing, but there were a few that managed to take it down, and win the battle when Microsoft sued them, best of luck to other companies taking on Microsoft. Also, I agree, that is another company makes a softeware that runs better, and is more stable for a Micosoft based OS, and Microsoft already released software that does that, that dosn't give them the right to sue them, that's like an ISP suing another ISP, becasue they give Internet access in the same area...It's just Bill Gates being greedy...and I thitnk that some software companies need to stand up for them selfs...good luck.

-MicroBurn

MicroBurn, do you know of who else has gone up against M$ and won? I don't keep up with it enough, because I guess I assume that M$ will always be there, so who cares about a little company trying to fight against the MASSIVE power M$ has. Though I'd be interested in hearing more about other companies that have also won. Also to take a look at who else has software out there that might work as an alternitive to M$ stuff.