AP Thought (Not a complaint)

Thread: AP Thought (Not a complaint)

Question AP Thought (Not a complaint)

Why is it that for any bad post, everyone is quick to assign negative points, because it annoys them. But all too often, I think we forget to give out good points for a good, or even decent, post. It makes it hard for a lot of people I think, and very frustrating.

Just a thought...any comments?
    Share on Google+

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Mobius, I think what you're getting at, is that posts that offer helpful links, tips and/or information galore don't get enough positive AP points. You have to take into account exactly what people are looking for. You may think something is helpful but...that's you.
    AP points are subjected to the same thing all opinions in life are, perception. What you like or deem helpful, someone might see as redundant information or annoying. There is no utopia where all good deeds and ideas are rewarded, unfortunately. Until then, just find comfort when those 'good' posts are rewarded positive AP points.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton
    Share on Google+

Re: AP Thought (Not a complaint)

Originally posted here by ^Mobius^
    Why is it that for any bad post, everyone is quick to assign negative points, because it annoys them. But all too often, I think we forget to give out good points for a good, or even decent, post.

The balancing warning is supposed to rectify that.....
    Share on Google+

i think while aps are a friendly reminder of how people are growing at this site.. for the most part people just need to forget that the ap system even exists its turning into a kind of irc type environment where people just want +'s and @'s next to their name and they for get the real reason for even being here is to help and share knowledge on computers.
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there
    Share on Google+

I'm not even saying that its a problem with people who have different opinions on what is good and useful and what isn't. I find myself thinking "Wow! What a great post/info/link/download/news!" And I forget to give them good APs for it, which they well deserve.

But I know that whenever I see a post that angers me, or seems useless, a waste of space, vengence kicks in, and I very much want to take it out on the person---through APs.

Dahvid: You're right, some people do forget the real reason that the APs are there. But because negative APs are handed out more than positive ones, despite how they are needed, people will be banned when they still contribute good things.

That's just my opinion, and how I find myself reacting to different things sometimes.

I hope that makes my original post a bit more clear. :-)
    Share on Google+

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    How the hell can you sit there and say
    "I'm not even saying that its a problem with people who have different opinions on what is good and useful and what isn't."

How is the issue NOT opinion related when you sit there and say things like :
    "I find myself thinking "Wow! What a great post..."?
    "whenever I see a post that angers me,..."?

Of course opinion IS the issue. Opinion is the root of negative and positive AP point assignments. simply put - It's what a member here at AO thinks about your thread.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton
    Share on Google+

Antionline Herpetologist
    Actually, if you see the "user tends to assign" bars for most of the (sort of) senior members, you'll see that most of us tend to have graphs overwhelmingly in the positive. Inspite of all the crap that goes on here, there are actually more good posts than bad, so the AP graph of people who have been around for a fairly long time reflects this. For example here's what my "Antipoint Center" says:
    Total AntiPoints That You've Given Out: 1390
    92% Positive 8% Negative
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com
    Share on Google+

ShagDevil. You misunderstood me entirely. I meant a difference of opinion between reader and poster. What I wrote was to show that sometimes we all forget to give out positive APs to great posts, even when we think that they are such. This is atleast a problem that I sometimes have, and I've made a point of giving out good APs to any decent post lately.

I just wanted to share my feelings on the topic. Some of us are better at remembering to give out positive points <cough>cgkanchi</cough> than others, but others aren't that good. <cough>me</cough>
    Share on Google+

er0k

Re: AP Thought (Not a complaint)

Originally posted here by ^Mobius^
    Why is it that for any bad post, everyone is quick to assign negative points, because it annoys them. But all too often, I think we forget to give out good points for a good, or even decent, post. It makes it hard for a lot of people I think, and very frustrating.

Just a thought...any comments?
    id have to say that bad posts deserve negatives yes, but generally when i dont see a reason for the negging of a post, and it has been negged, i try to assign them positives to hopefully balance off the moron who just randomly negged them. Thread needs to be closed though, too much ap whinage. We should all just let it go....
    Share on Google+

Banned
    Your wish is my command, er0k...

Thread closed.
    Share on Google+