need help with redhat 4.2

Thread: need help with redhat 4.2

Question need help with redhat 4.2

I have installed redhat4.2 on my second computer and i don;t know where tu put insmod command so that my ethernet card to load the driver at boot. I created rc.modules but it didn't work.

redhat 4.2?????
    hum, we can't exactly say it is the current version of RedHat Linux (which is the 8 I think) you have installed. I'm not a Linux guru (I'm still learning) but I guess that a more recent version of your OS could help you and more than probably solve some of your problems (especially with hardware).
    Moreover a non updated OS is potentially a critical security threat.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I have Redhat 7.1 on one computer (and i have redhat8.0 on cd's). I installed Redhat4.2 on the other one because i don;t have space on harddisk(and i can't aford another one, this is Romania ! ). And I don't have problem's with security because it's a LAN in my room and it's not connected to internet or other LAN's (I want to lern about security so it's probably better if this version it's not secure).

I recently did a Red Hat 6.1 install (dated I know) but it found my network adapter on its own. Perhaps an upgrade is in order? My linux knowledge is limited just completed the install over the weekend.

I did a quick look in a book I have and it looks like a line of the effect
    alias eth0 3c503
    goes into /etc/conf/modules
    The above is for a 3Com 3C503 card -I do not know what yours should be.

That is from Red Hat Secerts Linux by Naba Barkakati 3rd editions.

Hope that Helps.
    Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

My ethernet adapter driver was not included in the redhat source so i download it and install it myself. My ethernet adapter is realtek 8139. So i have to put the rtl8139.o in the lib/modules/2.0.30/net directory and after that i'll try with alias. I hope it'll work.
    Thx.

Thx dspeidel that alias thing solved my problem.
    But now i have another problem. The ip addres is not the one in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. My ip addres from that file is 192.168.0.2 and the one that is loading on boot is 192.192.192.2. I don't know where this addres came from. If you have any sugestions pease let me know.
    Thx!

I do not have an IP addres in my network file. I am running via DHCP and get my IP address from my ISP could you be configfured in a similar manner? I specified DHCP during the install. You can rebuild the kernel for network support:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make config
    <but I think you did that already>
    I would recomend playing netcfg -it is the redhat network configuration tool.

You can Names lets you enter IP address of the name server this is stored in
    /etc/rsolve.conf and /etc.sysconfig/network.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    -Dspeidel
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

With the netcfg program i allready set my ip:192.168.0.2 >and as i told you after reboot the ip is 192.192.192.2 and i don;t know from where this ip is comming. I never wrote this ip to my computer.Yes i could use dhcp but i want to alocate manualy the ip's .First the problem was that the driver didn't load at boot so i couldn't use dhcp. If no one will know what to do to resolve the problem then i'll try dhcp.
    Thx again!