Thread: grrr... Gain's Gator...

er0k

grrr... Gain's Gator...

Alrighty, i am currently working on a persons computer. I found the problem and have almost corrected it. I know that gator is causing it, in C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMT\ which isnt allowing internet explorer to function properly. However, i need to uninstall this. But it will not let me. Gives me the standard copyright message and blah. Yes i know start, settings, add remove programs whatever well its not there. Its in the file mentioned above. I just need to know how to delete it. It will not let me install it either from the .dll's that it has, because the user apparently deleted some valuable files. the egieengine.dll was what was causing ie to crash, and i fixed that, just need to know how to unistall all gain software. any help would be appreciated.

Worst case scenario when doing a m$ install is delete the directory that contains the offending content ie C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMT\ then search the registry for links to that program. This unfortunately leaves dlls and executables in other dirs -but it should prevent the program from starting. I would also check program files for anything put there.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

er0k i ran ad-aware to remove it when i ran win if the pepole's computer you are removing it from has net access im sure they wouldnt mind you downloading ad-aware to remove it read this link form techtv on it to
    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...389395,00.html
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

er0k
    bah i should have added that i cant access the internet from this computer. it is blocking ie from working. and without ie i can access the internet via a browser unless i put another browser on a disk but even then i wouldnt think it would work, since even after the reinstall of ie, gain's **** is still messing with ie.

Any chance of downloading ad-aware and burning on to a cd from another box ? other than that i havent found anything that will help you remove it manually i will edit this post if i come across anything

have you tried deleting it from a DOS prompt ? do you know where the files are located or called i read this on a BBS that the directory's are called Gator, GMT, and CME

here is the link if you want a loook see

http://boards.cexx.org/spyware/messa...?board=spyware

another url it looks as if you need to download ad-aware or some spy-ware killing prog to remove it completely http://www.pchell.com/support/gator.shtml

Gator Modules

Gator (iegator.dll and others)
    Gator is the main software, which autocompletes Web forms (which is completely unnecessary for many MSIE users, since IE has included an AutoComplete feature since version 5.0).

OfferCompanion
    This is the advertising spyware module. It is responsible for spying on your Web browsing habits, downloading and displaying pop-up ads, and transmitting (personal?) information to Gator.

Trickler (fsg.exe, fsg-ag.exe, fsg*.exe)
    Trickler is an "install stub", a small program that is installed with the application you really wanted. (Gator almost always appears on your system due to installing OTHER software, and not the installer available from Gator's website.) When installed, Trickler inserts a Run key in your Registry so that it is silently and automatically loaded every time you start your computer. Trickler runs hidden and very slowly downloads the rest of Gator/OfferCompanion onto your system. It is suggested that this "trickling" activity is intended to slip under the user's radar, the steady, low usage of bandwidth going unnoticed.

While often named fsg.exe, Trickler can go under other similar names, such as fsg-ag.exe (installed with AudioGalaxy) or another name containing "fsg" or "trickler".

GAIN (GMT.exe, CMESys.exe, GAIN_TRICKLER_*.EXE)
    GAIN is short for Gator Advertising Information Network, and is the newest incarnation of the Gator spyware we all know and love. Gator describes this module here.

Dropping Gator
    If you actually use(d) Gator for its purpose of remembering passwords, there are safe alternatives. The major browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla) and some non-major ones now include an autocomplete and password-remember feature. Gator users can also easily switch to RoboForm, a free program that does the same thing without spamming your system with ads and selling your privacy short. It can even import all your Gator data. Also, check out this page for retrieving passwords from Gators database.
    taken from here http://www.cexx.org/gator.htm
    Frequently Asked Questions
    What is GAIN?
    How did I get GAIN?
    How do I know what pop ups are from GAIN?
    Does GAIN collect any personally identifiable information?
    How do I access GAIN messaging preferences?
    How do I know which GAIN supported applications I have?
    How do I uninstall a GAIN supported application?
    How do I remove GAIN branded ads?
    Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

Answer Section

Q. What is GAIN?

A. GAIN is an acronym for the Gator Advertising & Information Network. GAIN helps keep many popular software applications and services free in exchange for delivering ads, information, and software based on the web sites being viewed.

This network of GAIN supported applications includes games, audio & video products, and a number of helpful utilities. You will receive GAIN messages so long as you have GAIN supported applications on your system.

Q. How did I get GAIN?

A. Users receive GAIN, which delivers advertising and information messages with GAIN branding, only if they choose to download or use free software or Web services that are part of GAIN. All distributors of authorized GAIN supported applications are always required to provide upfront disclosure to consumers that their products are GAIN supported. It is not possible to get an authorized GAIN supported application installed on your system without going through a registration process in which you are given an opportunity to view a screen indicating that it is a GAIN supported application and that you will receive ads as long as you have the application on your system.

Additionally, consumers must accept The Gator Corporation Privacy Statement and End User License Agreement before they can receive GAIN supported applications.

GAIN allows consumers to enjoy a variety of free Web site content and free software applications that deliver a service or information in exchange for permission to display GAIN advertising messages.

Q. How do I know what pop ups are from GAIN?

A. All GAIN ads are clearly branded so you can easily identify them. Most GAIN messages currently come in the form of Pop-Up Windows, which will display either on top of, or underneath other windows on the screen.

Q. Does GAIN collect any personally identifiable information about me?

A. GAIN does not collect any personally identifiable information about you (no email address, no last names, no street addresses, no phone numbers, and no credit card info) and The Gator Corporation Privacy Statement clearly states how and why GAIN must contact GAIN servers, what information is collected, and how it is used. Users must review and accept The Gator Corporation's Privacy Statement and End User License Agreement before GAIN and/or GAIN supported applications are installed on a user's computer. For further information, please refer to The Gator Corporation's Privacy Statement at: http://www.gatoradvertisinginformati.../app_privacy/.

Q. How do I access GAIN messaging preferences?

A. There are two ways to manage GAIN messaging preferences. First, you can click on the "?" box on most GAIN messaging vehicles to get more information or change settings. Second, you can click on the Windows Start button, select Programs, GAIN, and then About GAIN. When the About GAIN screen opens, click on the "Managing GAIN messages" tab, and then on the link for the GAIN message type you wish to change settings for.

Q. How do I know which GAIN supported applications I have?

A. To view a list of the GAIN supported applications that are installed on the computer you are currently using, Click here.

Q. How do I uninstall a GAIN supported application?

A. To uninstall a GAIN supported application, follow these steps;
    -- From the Windows Start button select Settings and then Control Panel.
    -- When the Control Panel window opens, double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    -- When the Add/Remove Programs window opens, locate the GAIN supported application you wish to uninstall in the list of installed programs, click on that entry one time and then click on the Change/Remove button.
    -- Follow the on screen instructions.

Q. How do I remove GAIN branded ads?

A. Each user is in control of receiving, or not receiving GAIN branded ads. To stop receiving GAIN branded ads, all GAIN supported applications must be uninstalled from the user's computer.

A few minutes after all the GAIN supported applications have been uninstalled, GAIN will automatically uninstall itself. To view a list of the GAIN-supported applications that are installed on the computer you are currently using, Click here.

If you do not use the Microsoft® Windows® Add/Remove programs feature and instead attempt to uninstall GAIN-supported applications by manually deleting files or directories, it is likely that your efforts will result in an incomplete removal of GAIN and/or your GAIN supported applications. In this case, please contact The Gator Corporation technical support at support@gator.com and they will be able to work with you to help you remove all GAIN-related components.

Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

A. GAIN is designed to self uninstall when all GAIN supported applications have been uninstalled. You cannot uninstall GAIN directly, as it is correlated with other software products. You need to uninstall all GAIN supported applications in order to remove GAIN.
    the GAIN FAQ
    http://www.gatoradvertisinginformati...gainfaq.html#8

[quote]

By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I used Spyware Search and Destroy to kill Gator on some machines on our network.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    one problem with deleting it i found is that whatever it came with will stop working divx pro for example which shits me so i found a guide to use the codecs and not have gaim pissing me off
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19583

rioter