winnt\system32 files

Thread: winnt\system32 files

Question winnt\system32 files

I recently installed windows 2000 pro on my home machine (as an upgrade from me) and if I don't allow "services.exe" in the c:\winnt\system 32 files access the internet i cannot use my browser including mozilla. My question is can i safely delete the file (i think i'd have to do it on startup) ? Exactly what services is this thing talking about-my assumption is is that its something that is not looking out for my best interests-thanks in advance for your help.

While I can't say for sure, I want to say the answer is almost certainly no you can't delete it. Services is what Windows runs all of its other network (even to loopback) services through and without it, I doubt windows would even run (first thing that comes to mind is no windows rpc, without it no windows (I have seen that rather grisly result)).

I am not sure why you are wanting to delete it, put perhaps if you can mention what you are trying to do (save disk, save mem, etc), I can make some further recommendations.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

i don't know why it SHOULD have internet access- I never had a program need access to the net to allow other programs to access the net-if i deny it internet access, I am soon denied access-It doesn't sound right though i have much reading to do on 2000

I would not delete it.
    Services.exe is a process that supplements the existing Device.exe process in loading system services. This allows for enhanced device stability by decreasing the likelihood of a system failure in the event of a service failure. Services also provides enhanced loading capabilities such support for starting, pausing and stopping services.

To use both Device.exe and Services.exe, 2 of the 32 available Windows CE process slots will be used. It is possible to run Device.exe without the enhanced Services.exe support in order to conserve a process slot; however, this is done at the expense of the increased stability that Services.exe offers.

Services.exe also can be configured to wait on connections from multiple sockets for multiple services. Upon arrival of a connection request from a particular socket, Services.exe dispatches the request to the registered service. It is important to note that while Services.exe helps prevent a device failure resulting from a service crash, it does not prevent a resulting crash in another unrelated service. All services should be properly debugged prior to testing them with Services.exe.
    From http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ervicesexe.asp
    (2nd choice on a google search for services.exe if the link expires) That seems to be more WinCE related but http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id765.cfm lists services.exe as a one of the reguired processes for w2k.

The Others are:
    - System Idle Process
    - System
    - SMSS.EXE
    - CSRSS.EXE
    - WINLOGON.EXE
    - LSASS.EXE
    - EXPLORER.EXE
    - SVCHOST.EXE
    - SPOOLSV.EXE
    - SVCHOST.EXE
    - REGSVC.EXE
    - MSTASK.EXE
    - WINMGMT.EXE
    - NWTRAY.EXE
    - IEXPLORER.EXE

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Okay, thanks-Does this mean that it is not a security hole-I guess this is my main concern as I read more and more on security I am becoming paranoid to a healthy degree
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

It in and of itself, not really. What runs through it perhaps. Have a look at my tutorial on tightening Windows 2000:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234577

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Thanks! On my way to the tutorial-It's a good way to spend the night as opposed to, say sleeping!!!!!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool