Thread: Dell Selling LINUX workstation

Dell Selling LINUX workstation

Hi guys I've been looking at Dell website (cause I wanna buy a new PC) and I found Dell workstation pc have RH Linux 8 install in it..mmm I thought they don't do that any more.
    Check out 340n/350n/450n/530n/650n, will Dell use Linux for the future ..instead of MS or maybe just trial?
    the link http://www.dell.com/us/en/hied/produ...rkstations.htm
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

er0k
    sweet_angel, dont buy a dell please! just customize your own box, itll be cheaper and you will get what you want. if you buy a dell, all you are paying for is the name and the customer services. Generally the stores you customize them at will offer warranties and so forth.. so your safe their. + you have AO for support

greetings,
    for the record i thought that i would state that i saw dell selling rh7.2 on workstation models 530 and 330 november 2001. like erok said, you do pay more for the name and the after sales service. but atleast you would know that the system can support rh and win.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

yeah, i agree, when you buy a dell, your buying the name. Aside from that, they're really not that good. i hear alot of them are'nt even socketed, so its a really go choice

iv heard really good things about there servers, that there ctaually good, i looked into it and read up and it seems they actually have good servers, and theres no lil **** goin "dewd your gettin a server!" which is a plus, i cant stand that kid, i dont need a person tellin me what im getting, id rather have a person help me pick out something theyv used and abused and stand by, like an IBM mainfraim.....nut untill i win the lotto i cant get one this next parts a wee off topic, but iv been reading about VPR Matrix computers, they have server grade HDs in there home PCs, porche (sp?) does the design for there cases and they come RAID enabled, also they use intel pro 10/100 NICs and my friend in the UK said thats the NICs they use on there servers (hes a system admin for a school) and he said theyv never had a problem at all with em, no one seems to know anything from personal experiance so hopefully soon ill be tellin you guys what i think of them when i finaly get one

Senior since the 3 dot era
    While composing your own box is a (very) good idea (I do / did that for years) Dell isn't that bad. In contrary they deliver quality at a low price. Specially the workstation range. It just works. If you are going for a major brand, Dell is probably one of the cheapest. However building your own box will always give you some advantages that brands can't offer, that's a fact.

The Iceman Cometh
    One advantage to getting a pre-built box, such as a Dell is the fact that you know all of your hardware will be compatible with whatever OS you choose straight out of the box. Especially if you are going to go with Linux, if you build your own box, you will have to ensure that every component you purchase is compatible with Linux. Furthermore, you will have to figure out how to set up all of the hardware yourself. If you're not very knowledgable about hardware/drivers, etc., I'd go with a pre-built box. And, if you do go that route, I think that Dell is absolutely the way to go. You get good systems for a relatively low price, and you have terrific service. I have a number of Dell machines, including a server, a few workstations and two laptops and I wouldn't trade them for any other pre-built machines.

AJ

Dude...... it's a dell! '
    -=[Ph3ar]=-

Dude...... it's a dell! '
    -=[Ph3ar]=-