View Poll Results: Will the computer public reject the new os that Microsoft is working on?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes it will crash and burn

0 0%
  • no but system admins miht use it on systems

0 0%
  • no it will crash and burn

2 100.00%

Thread: How about a Hacker Parliament ?

Question How about a Hacker Parliament ?

Hello everyone,

I'm living in New Delhi, India, just telling you because the location on my new project is very vital. Now since i'm in the capital, i'm bound to getting a lot of people in this plan that i'm thinking. We have in Delhi, a meet called "Youth Parliament", where young people meet and discuss political issues and solutions to world problems. It's like a meet, if you know what i mean.
    I read Phat_Penguins post about the Linux conference, and it reminded me of my endeavour. Now i wanted a meet for Security, for solutions to spam, defacement of websites and prolly.
    It gives me a lot of problems when i begin to think about it. I also am into Event Management, so getting places and people wouldn't be a problem. First of all, how would we refine the serious knowledgeable people from scripties ? Also, do we actually have so many techies and everything ? Should it be only restricted to security related issues or even Web Development ? What can be discussed ?
    In short, i'm not brimming with ideas. More ideas will be appreciated.

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Nice post Some things i think are very important and need to be said

invader does this group of "young parliament" you meet with actually have any authority or anything to do with anyone in real parliament or is it just a group of people discussing stuff they cant do anything about?

its a good idea but will anyone listen to what u come up with?
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Question

As i said before,
    " There are many things to be considered before beginning the actual project."
    It has begun yet guys, i'm sorting it out. Well, whatever is discussed, whatever answers are reached, they will be researched and funds seemingly will be provided by some sponsors we are expecting to have.
    does this group of "young parliament" you meet with actually have any authority or anything to do with anyone in real parliament or is it just a group of people discussing stuff they cant do anything about?
    Well, exactly that, the topics will then be researched and brought up in the international community, we aim to provide answers to questions. Now the managerial part is the problem, how many people should be involved, how will they be filtered ? etcetra..

As you can see, the votes are equally divided, which means that half the members think that this idea is not possible AT ALL. Well, opinions will be more fruitful and helping.

-inv

This is a very interesting idea.

I think that as a discussion/pressure group idea it's very good.

As for having actual power, how many corporations/governments etc. are going to allow an unelected and therefore illegitimate group of people dictate how things should be run.

The word parliament has a very political conotations. This alone could put people off from joining or listening to this group.

All that said, great idea and good luck. ;-)

I like the idea, but we should also think about the political side of it. As interax said, most governments wont like the idea of having an unelected group of people, and therefore posibily uneducated and not knowledgable of the topic, have authority in their government. If it was just a think tank that had ties to the government and provided them with data then you would probably have a better chance with that. Also providing the mass media with information would be rather easy.

I doubt that there will be a world parliament made out of sercurity profesionals. For one thing most of the budget would be used on caffeine and better computers and they would be sleeping most of the time. But realisticaly the type of people that I think you want on this form of parliament would be opposed to a "new world order" form of control.

I doubt that it would work, but if you think that you can pull it off then I say try it. Just remember that there will be many people trying to stop you and that you will not meet smiling faces every step of the way. Here's one to get your mood up...

Good luck.
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

This idea sounds strangely similar to DefCon. Is there something I'm missing?
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Is this 'Hacker Parliament' going to be something of India or U.S. or what? Or, is it going to be the cerebration of global international ideas? I mean the only way that would work is if it were ran on a internet server. I'm not understanding this whole concept. Along witht he majority, I do agree that it would be a great addition to the society, but don't know to who it involves. More info would be great!
    -Jagfire19
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

As for having actual power, how many corporations/governments etc. are going to allow an unelected and therefore illegitimate group of people dictate how things should be run.
    We never want to dictate to the government how things should be run.
    I want to provide solutions to problems that are creating a threat,to the security of the internet. When young minds will meet, they will think and reason. They are expected to come up with new ideas and sort.

The word parliament has a very political conotations. This alone could put people off from joining or listening to this group.
    Yeah, good point. Maybe we can change the name to "Computer Minds" or something lame, err..different i mean. Well, the name we could change.

If it was just a think tank that had ties to the government and provided them with data then you would probably have a better chance with that. Also providing the mass media with information would be rather easy.
    That is exactly my idea. I think the word parliament confused everyone. I just thought of that name because of the fact that there was already a Youth Parliament going on. I have a meeting with the organizer of that in a few days and will let everyone know of the developments there.

Midrith, i'm ready to challenge the people who are trying to stop me.
    ANd convert the not-smiling faces into smiling ones.

This idea sounds strangely similar to DefCon. Is there something I'm missing?
    Well, do you mind telling me more about it ? DefCon ? Defcon(ference) ?
    Is it some meeting of people or sort? It would be of help roswell, if you consider telling me more about it.

Is this 'Hacker Parliament' going to be something of India or U.S. or what?
    Well, no no, not something of the India and US. Just people who are living in India, come to a place and discuss issues on computers and find answers to questions that are endangering the very existence of the internet (spam etc), or maybe, other issues also.

I mean the only way that would work is if it were ran on a internet server. I'm not understanding this whole concept.
    After this detailed explanation, i hope you do understand.

I do agree that it would be a great addition to the society, but don't know to who it involves
    It involves general people, computer people, security experts, others.
    Those are questions that need to be answered, the reason that i posted the thread. Once again :

:: How can we filter the people that might attend this monthly/quarterly conference ?

:: What topics can be discussed ?

:: How can discussions be moderated ?

:: How can the solutions be channelized in the best possible ways ?

:: What are the ways to encourage more sponsorship for the event ?