dcsimg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: games from your youth

being old and computer illiterate to a year or so ago my first game was asteroids-at the arcade- i still download a version once in awhile

We never had a video game system at home so I had to go to a friends house and play Yar's Revenge....awesome. Other than that, we'd just go outside and throw lawn darts up in the air and then avoid them on their way down!
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Banned
    i also remeber a pc game called stunt and jones life in the fast lane
    my oh my those games were fun games these days have seem to lost replaybilty in favor of graphics and technical ****
    rioter

Yeah, lov 'em all. Cherryroms.com <<good place or Snes roms an Emulators.
    -XliMun

Oldies

If we are talking about the old one's the first game I ever played was on an 8086 system, it was a "graphical" Star Trek game. The Quadrant was laid out and you could go to any sector, You were an E, Klingons a K, stars an asterisk and Bases a B. To move 1 sector you would put in 1 (N,S,E,W) or you could move part of a sector by using decimals. Then you could shoot by figuring angles to the target.

My favorite old time games, well Zelda was definitely one of them. My favorite games though were on the old Intellivision system. There was Dreadnaught, D and D, and Island Wars. Then came out the most addictive game I have ever played (until I started into MMORPG's) on the NES- Nobunaga's Ambition. It had everything, village management, army building, tactics, and a difficult but eventually attainable goal. The first time I beat the game I had been playing it for almost 30 hours straight. I could barely focus on the T.V.

However I do still play games and think there are many good ones out there. I love Deus Ex, it is not as difficult as some of the old ones but it is great fun. Also Myst and Riven were graphical grand children of the early text adventures and I think did them proud. Aside from a few standouts most FPS's have added little to Doom but eye candy. I like eye candy but the basic game play is still much the same and the game is based on dynamics not plot. Maybe that is why I like Deus Ex, it's plot was intriguing to me and you can sneak many missions (I don't but you could if you wanted to). The only FPS's that have extended the genre seem to do so through on-line play. Here I point to Half-Life with its many mods. Happily it demonstates that most innovation comes from talented amateurs (Counter Strike and dozens more) which are then immulated by professionals.

BTW I use the same nick on-line playing CS and Anarchy Online (for my main) as I do here. So if you ever find yourself shooting me there make sure to say hi.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Hey,

You can play all these golden oldies on emulation software available for the p.c

I have tonnes of these emulators and games. I am not sure of the laws on these things but if anyone wants copies let me know.

E.G Sega master system, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), Nintendo (NES,SNES)

I have also got just about every game available for each.

mail me.

mark_boyle2002@yahoo.co.uk

My old favorites were as follows:

Nintendo: Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Rygar and Final Fantasy
    PC: Bards Tale 3, Kings Quest Series, Quest for Glory series (Hero's Quest) and Starflight 1 and 2
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

hmmmmm *thinks* i can still remember playing Adventure on the old Atari 2600 now thats an old one LOL gotta love having a square for a character ;-)
    i also liked Zelda, Metroid hmmmmm im trying to remeber some other retro games of my youth but im still waking up LOL so i'll just leave it at that im sure theres alot more but the coffee hasnt kicked in yet LOL :\

Dahvid: The new lord of the rings game is pretty good. Well worth the money.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    DaRK-RaiDeR i played many of the games u did... but back to skool on the specy was a classic, and haven't played it since i was a little nippa but i used to love that game.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/backtoskool.htm

Ru$kb0y (Bak in the 80's )...