Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hackers Challenge 2!

just ordered the book, looks pretty interesting

BTW = this was a pointless post for me to make. muhuhahaha!!!
    Hey there, chaps! Being mexican-american, I don\'t really think I have the racial background to say that...Oh well, visit our site at www.evilcorp.tk
    Don\'t expect any content...for a few weeks!

Cool! Loved the first one (although the I thought the hacks difficulty levels were a bit overrated), didn't know there was a second one out! Gonna grab it ASAP! Thanks for the heads up!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

UPDATE: I've been reading this and the hacker diaries all weekend.

I must say that i'm very impressed with the Hackers Challenge 2. I love reading stuff like this.
    I think its going to take me longer than a week to read this one though... I have too much school work.

But I def. recommend it!

Oh, the Hacker Diaries is good too. The thread on that one went suicidal so I thought I'd post my opinion on that here. The link I included was a review by someone who likes it as much as I do.

Here is where you can buy it if you are interested. I recommend this one too!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ive read the hacker diaries and i must say i really enjoyed it .. it has no technical teachings (that i can remember) or anything like that in it but it is a really good read on events leading up to capture of "hackers" and how they got into the game and their backgrounds etc.. it was an enjoyable book!
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

My turn to update:

I've just finished reading hacker's challenge 2. It was pretty good, but compared to hacker's challenge 1, I found the challenges to actually be somewhat easier. That, or I'm really getting better

More objectively...

Compared to the first book, the attacks are less specific, and by that I mean that they're addressing more a type of attack than a particular exploit, which is not bad in itself.

The challenge with the buffer overflow explanations was pretty good read: while perhaps not you're typical remote buffer overflow, which would have been harder to explain clearly (without explaining all the surrounding network and server implications), instead they had a very good explaination of a basic buffer-overflow. Once you understand this, the only diffrence is how the egg is delivered.

Oh, on the editorial side, I found some of the authors attempts in dramatical descriptions to be, well, unnecessary...

Asside from this, it's still a greate read.

My personnal take on this series is that they really help you stay sharp. Your network(s) might not get compromised often (hopfully, if you're doing your job right!) but reading such stories really help condition yourself in how to react when such an event occures.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss