Thread: Latest virus out: (level 3)

Latest virus out: (level 3)

Hey all,

Just thought that I'd post this to make sure we were all up to date on our anti-virus software. It appears that a level 3 worm has been created and is on a spree taking computer resources. It was brought to my attention when my friends network was infected by it. Sense the warning is for all Windows NT, Windows 2000,and Windows XP users I thought that anybody that doesn't know about this yet, or doesn't have the proper defense software should visit here for the latest info and updates on it....

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lexp.worm.html

I don't know if this has any connection to the thread posted by DISLEX, but I figured it was worth noting...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=239123

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

I'm shaddy I would like to make a research on the latest virus you alert on(worm3).I would like you to send me the virus by an email please.I wanna make some test on it. The damage caused will be at my risk.My email is masukus28@yahoo.com

Hope my request could be attended

Antionline Herpetologist
    Yeah right, like that's gonna happen. Why don't you try to social engineering someone else. Also, back on topic, that's the worm that's been overloading the internet of late. While it's improved, it's still not back to normal.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Question

was this the virus that TechTV metitioned? They said it was big in Asia/Europe because a lot of the companies didnt use the patch even though it has been out for months. Let me know.

Yes it is the same worm mentioned in Dislex's post.

SQL Slammer Worm [ISS] == DDOS.SQLP1434.A [Trend] == W32/SQLSlammer [McAfee] == Slammer [F-Secure] == Sapphire [eEye] == W32/SQLSlam-A [Sophos]

This has to be about one of the worst cases I have seen in a while on nobody agreeing what to call it

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

cant they just call it Worm Number 20706834 or sumthing? and THEN give it aliases...coz then they could all be sunced (The AV Networks) oh well....guess I'm dreaming again...

tanx for the heads up

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I just reread your post and wanted to point something out, this worm has nothing to do with windows <xxx> per se, but rather SQL Server 2000 or MS 'Desktop Edition' (MSDE) SQL Server. And that if people properly administered their boxes by applying freely and easily available service packs and hotfixes, this worm would have been a nonevent.

The majority of users have no need to be concerned about this worm since most of them do not run SQL Server 2000 or MSDE. For this reason, the AVERT (McAfee) rated the worm as a severe risk to corporate users and minimal to normal users. As a side note, even if McAfee and Symantec have signatures available to detect this, the vulnerability is so easily patched, it would IMHO be wiser to just patch your system (and then slap yourself for not applying a patch that has been around for at least 5-6 months).

Wanted to clear that up before some people started to panic about their desktop M$ box being vulnerable ...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)