Thread: Scanner...

Scanner...

I'm looking to run a scan on my PC to see what needs patching...Can you recommend any tools to do this? I have WIN98 O/S.

win98 is a lost cause .. if u want security upgrade your OS ... you should upgrade anyway 98 is old.
    your best bet would be to go to microsoft.com and see what they say on securing your 98 system.... my opinion .. get rid of it and change to winXP
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Yeah that's true but I'm getting a new PC in the next couple of months so I'm just messing about with this old one...

Hey Hey

I'm not sure if this is what you mean exactly, but here's some nice online utilities that will work for ya on 98

http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...HFEPGEVVSDUXLX

You may want to try either Superscan or Nmap. No I did not provide links you can just google
    for it. Also as advised you should upgrade your OS. Go and upgrade to Linux it is free and offers a lot more.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You can download the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer for free from MS. This will tell you what service packs are missing, etc.

You can get yourself a copy of NESSUS and scan your machine. This will require another machine to run the scan from and works best on *nix systems (in my opinion)

You can get something called Angry IP Scanner freely available at www.angryziber.com/ipscan.
    This can be used to enumerate info from your machine. It can also scan defined port ranges, etc.

Or you can go the expensive way and buy NetRecon from Symantec.

Also, I agree, Windows98 and security mix about the same way oil and water does. Get rid of it.

Hope this helps!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hi.....

I agree that its hard to secure a win 98 OS, but i recommend you goto www.webattack.com and look for a programm called languard. Its a security scanner telling you what needs to be patched, and where to get the patch from. This tool is a system administrators security testing tool, which works very well. Apart from that, there are tools which are more accurate, but they run on *nix, such as nessus, or saint. They can be used to scan a windows system though. But for your situation i think that languard is an excellent choice.

You will also find a lot of security related tools on www.webattack.com.

Good luck.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Or you could use Angry ip. It's ok for checking for backdoor trojans.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You'll have to use Angry IP Scanner on another box to scan the host in question because it does not respond nicely to localhost scans.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Wink

Windows update would do it for you as well . Well, what you must be concerned about when dealing with your desktop (if you are not providing any services, like web hosting, email relay, etc..) is about having open ports, and updated stuff. Turning off some features like activex support for your browser would help, or even dont using Internet Explorer at all..
    Anyway, a scanner like r3x (which has grown up, wears a nice suit, and is now more corporate, being called Languard in this new incarnation) and a visit to websites like grc.com to probe your ports may be quite useful. There are several other scanners out there, like superscan, etc..Oh, instronics has already a link for languard, so if you want the previous r3x, check this: http://www.anti-trojans.hpg.ig.com.br/R3x060.zip . I haven't read the page it comes from, but if you know some Portuguese.. . Don't worry, the program is in English.
    Also, simply using netstat -a in your dos prompt will give you a glance on what ports are open in your system. Don't forget shutting them all! And in case of a malicious program wanting to open one, a neat firewall might be there for shutting it again in its face