Thread: Modem.....

Modem.....

If I'm online for more than 30mins to an hour I hear my modem click and I can't load any websites up. I'm still online at this point so I have to disconnect then recon and it works fine again. My ISP don't have any cutoff time. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Check if your drivers are the correct ones, maybe you're using drivers that weren't made for your modem and so they doesn't work well enough.

Bye.

DKRR

um, you sure your modem doesnt have a cut off time. if not it might be (maybe) that the modem is over heating, if you have your other cards, ie, ethernet, video, sound. packed in too tightly any of those cards could get heated ans stop reponding. if thats the case, seperate the cards a little, you should have plenty of room. if you havent got enough room, swap some cards around so that the ones that dont generate as much heat are near the modem.

otherwise, it could be a software error, check all the setting for your modem and make sure it hasnt got a power down or something (just a suggestion)
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

try checking your settings in network connections, or get a cheap external modem and try that to see if it's your modem
    Squirrels have bushy tails
    I cut them off, then I laugh.
    That squirrel has no tail.

It might also be noise on your phone line(s) that are causing the disconnect. Make sure somebody isn't accidently jostling or picking up a regular phone. Then get cable.

i know in some o/s's that if you leave the o/s idle for a certain amount of time it shuts off, look for your network connections and make sure thats not it.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Check your modem properties at the disconnect if idle for more than ...minutes.This feature is adjustable.It could also be that the servers you are connecting to are detecting a slow connection and then because of heavy traffic the server would disconnect a modem which is holding up traffic so to speak.
    Hope this helps.

regards
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

got extra to settings & type in at&fx3 to reset your modem
    do a diagnostics test and find out what chipset the modem is using,reply back and i will give you string to drop modem speed could be there,s some static on your line.
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

My modem is a Sierra VoiceView 28.8.

Also I can't find where it says "dissconnect is idle" part in my modem settings.

Re: Modem.....

Check in Device Man. go to the prop. or your nic or modem and depending what os you're using, make sure power managment is not enabled to shut down this device to save power.

Originally posted here by Livlee
    If I'm online for more than 30mins to an hour I hear my modem click and I can't load any websites up. I'm still online at this point so I have to disconnect then recon and it works fine again. My ISP don't have any cutoff time. Any suggestions?