Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why?!?

Why?!?

I apologze as there are no doubt similar threads, but I'm posting this...

Why is everyone's solution always upgrade to Linux. I am in no way pro-M$, but at times it seem ridiculous. When people are coming in need of help, especially with relatively simple questions, why tell them to upgrade to Linux. It isn't necessarily an upgrade and it isn't needed a lot of the time. A user who's having difficulties in Windows is not going to find a solution by popping in a Linux CD. If anything it's going to give them more headaches. Windows operating systems are getting progressively better, while they don't offer the indepth look at a lot of things that Linux will provide, they offer a great learning platform and a lot of room to play. Luckily M$ makes it's products idiot proof, so it'll take a user a lot to completely mess up their install, where as Linux is much easier to break. The tools are out there for Windows if people are willing to look for them, and sure you don't have as much networking/security power in the end, you can get damn close.

Anyways that's my rant for the day.

the OS you should use depends what you need it for... for new people to the internet and computer world that only know a little bit of windows it is probably best to learn more while using windows (what they are comfortable with) before make the BIG-- HUGE step over to *nix if they even ever make that step ... its not the OS that makes for greatness it is the person behind it ... differnet OS's suit different tasks..

The main thing to remember is to use what you are comfortable with, enjoy your computing and you will enjoy learning about it..
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

er0k
    regardless its still ridiculous to trade convenience for usability. in other words, why would you not use linux for its vast power over windows just because its easier to use? All it takes is a bit of learning. Windows will not teach you anything that using linux for a few days wont. hell INSTALLING linux is more educational than using windows for a month.

You aren't trading convenience for usability. Hell the new Mandrake and RedHat installs are no different than install windows... they want to boot a GUI by default and everything you download for them is packaged. So you can't say you learn more installing them than you do from a month on windows.

Re: Why?!?

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    I apologze as there are no doubt similar threads, but I'm posting this...

Why is everyone's solution always upgrade to Linux. I am in no way pro-M$, but at times it seem ridiculous. When people are coming in need of help, especially with relatively simple questions, why tell them to upgrade to Linux. It isn't necessarily an upgrade and it isn't needed a lot of the time. A user who's having difficulties in Windows is not going to find a solution by popping in a Linux CD. If anything it's going to give them more headaches.
    Anyways that's my rant for the day.
    I definitely know this one for a fact. When I was in a chat room one time and was having soundcard problems, I asked for feedback on some possible solutions, the answer to me was Umm upgrade to Linux. It certainly didn't help.

Now, if you have a desire to be really good , and you're a total beginner, it would certainly help having configured Windows one way or the other, just to give you some insight into how things work. Basically, you just use this as a stepping stone so your transition to
    Linux/Unix won't be as hard. We all have to start somewhere.

Security wise, with all these patches, Windows isn't getting better but it will still run most programs without much effort.
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.-Reaper Man

Couldn't agree with you more HTRegz and Dahvid.

er0k: you know, for most people it's not about knowing more, it's about being able to do what they need to do, do it quickly, do it easily. What good is "more power" if you don't know how to use it, don't have the time to learn it and don't even need.

And besides, whatever others might say, windows (especially 2k and xp) is a pretty great platform. Sure it has it's weaknesses, but it also has it's strengths, and the proof of that is its success.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Maybe I can help answer this. I am becoming more and more inclined to using linux as time moves on. It seems that a lot of our users here are *nix users, and they must collectively posess a great deal of knowledge, not to mention they will freely offer their help to beginners in this platform. Call it a comraderie ( yes I am lazy and don't spell check....dial-up only ) you know what I mean
    I know that when I do take the dive I will have a lot of help and such from the *nix group here.
    *nix has a lot of security features more easily configurable also. Just my views...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Yea i agree with ammo, use whatever operating system will suit your needs better. I'm all for more people joinning the open source movement but it isnt for everyone. If you just need your computer up and being productive quickly without knowing everything, go for it. No matter what operating system you use though security education is a must.

er0k
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    You aren't trading convenience for usability. Hell the new Mandrake and RedHat installs are no different than install windows... they want to boot a GUI by default and everything you download for them is packaged. So you can't say you learn more installing them than you do from a month on windows.
    umm unless im very much mistaken, while installing windows you dont have to configure a boot loader, set harddrive options such as whether or not to write to the master boot record etc. in windows you dont get to choose the software you install, while those "packages" , you can selected whether or not you want to select individual packages. Hell try installing slackware without learning something. Try installing gentoo. You'll learn something you never will installing windows, thats for damned sure.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    HTRegz, if you are really curious you can always find an older computer and turn it into a *nix box, while keeping your newer machines running the Windows OS of your choice. That way you can get the things done that you need to get done on your Windows boxes without the fear of messing anything up. This way you could play with your *nix box at your leisure. This is what I did and it's working out great. I'm running Mandrake 8.1 on a pentium (!!) - it's a really good learning experience. So, if you really are interested in what makes Linux so desirable....just find a cheap extra box and have fun!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery