Best Compression Software

Thread: Best Compression Software

Banned

Best Compression Software

What's the best free compression software there is? Please give the rate and then apply it to a gigabyte of memory...

Name of Software
    1 GB = After Compression

What OS are you using?

File compression depends on they type of file that you are trying to compress and the method of compression you are using. Check out this link.

This link has some ratios for you.

Generally speaking, text file compression ratios are quite high (around 70 to 80%), while executable code, such as a software program, is more conservative (30 to 40%).
    For windows, I like winrar and winzip .
    Though these tools are not freeware, they don't cost too much.
    Windows XP has a built in compression feature. I use that at school. It works quite nice.

For linux, I like gzip /tar .
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    I'm running XP Home Edition. Well, let me rephrase my question: I have a file .99 GB and I need it under 650 megs... do you know of any software that will do that.

On XP, I just took a 1.25 gig file and compressed it to 750mb. It was a file folder with mixed meida ranging from .dat files, .mov, .avi, .mp3 and .wav files.

I did that by using winzip .

But like I said above... your compression ratio depends on what you are compressing.

Either split file into two and put it on two separate cds, or test different utilities.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    I'm trying to compress a .vob file.. I just tried compressing it using the XP compression software and got it down to 995 megs... not enough.. any other suggestions?

.vob is a video media, right?

Just a thought...

Have you thought of converting that to something else? Like... mpeg1 or .avi or something?

You might loose some quality though...

I know it is possible to split a file into two, and store it on two cds... maybe?

Banned
    I've been trying to convert the file into different formats all day and have gone through at least 10 different programs.. none seem to work... if you know of any that will do the job.. please do tell... and spliting the .vob file... I thought they were already spilt down.

As for splitting the file... there are many utilities that will do this.

If you have a single file that you want to split and then later rejoin, check out this.

Or, this one .

Or this one?

Some of em are free, some are not. Google has plenty more results.

a .vob is a video file , look at doom9.com and get gordianknot thats a awsome software package it will rip dvd's for you and it has nandub and dvd2avi and a bunch of other stuff. BTW i use powerarchiver for compression but if your tring to compress a .vob file use gordianknot. read the manual and do it. its pretty easy. just select the file and the demux it, then choss the language and the fiel format and the co/dec and then hit rip, its that easy, very cool stuff.

BTW Xp compression is crap dont use it for anything, trust me i tied and tested it, its crap.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.