Thread: Listening to EIGRP on Windows

Listening to EIGRP on Windows

Is anyone aware of a way to listen to EIGRP on a windows server?
    I know that EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary protocol and M$ do not produce anything, but was wondering if there was a third party product which would enable me to populate my routing table automatically.

Thx.

Do you mean to use a windows server as a router particating in a EIGRP domain?

I'm not sure that's dynamic routing on windows is even doable with standard routing protocols (OSPF, RIP, BGP, ...).
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

why would you want to do this? and you can configure RIP and OSPF on MS 200 Servers. but again, why would u want to? the only explanation I could see doing this is if you had 2 default gateway routers that went to 2 seperate locations that only meet at this particular server. If thats the case, then use one router as your default gateway and set a static route for the network to go back out that same interface to the other router. (or use eigrp or some other routing protocol), add the command "ip route-cache same-interface" that way your not process switching packets that dont have to route in one interface and out another interface on the default gateway router. Since it will fast switch the packets to the other router, the gateway router wont have to process all the incoming packets. hope that made sence
    Os1LaYr5

It's impossible

Then , can we do something to make our PC "listen" do the Multicast update of EIGRP ? suppose we are on a BroadCast MultiAccess like Ethernet ? Or just even listen to the Hello packets of EIGRP .
    Let\'s go to Paramount Great America !!!! LFC (LookingForChick)

Of course you may sniff whatever you want to. I guess that CISCO provides as well some add-ons for some sniffer (EtherReal, ...). But you won't be able to participate in the routng process from a window or Linux PC.

But I heard that's CISCO will maybe provides some open sources, I don't know what's the scope of this sharing process (maybe limited to some API)!!!
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

At layer 3 you cant do this.. EIGRP is prop to cisco ware as is MS to smb. EIGRP can be passed thru a multihome MS server but why would u do that. It would slow your ms server passing cisco tables protocols. You can sniff cisco packets but what good will that do you - but u can use cisco webmangement snap in like MS MMC. Your question is like asking if netware IPX to talk to TCP/IP w/o ethernet type II stack.