No sound when playing music in Win2k

Thread: No sound when playing music in Win2k

No sound when playing music in Win2k

I have resently installed Win2k Professional on my computer and I have also updated the OS with the newest update from the microsoft site. I have tried to play music CDs lately but I can't hear anything. The sound card is installed, the music CDs are also recognized by windows. It plays the CDs but there is no sound coming out. I wanted to know if there is anyone who knows how I can fix this problem..thnx in advance

Big_Bolo
    The strong do as they will and the weak suffer what they must.It is a choice. You don\'t choose to do the right thing all the time. You do the right thing all the time. Wining is a habit, unfortunately so is losing.

Most problems of this type for me have involved just a couple of "maybe's": Maybe the bios is not set to activate an onboard sound, or maybe the MB utilities (sound, etc) have not been loaded, or, perhaps, if you have both on-board sound and a sound-card, the output jack for your speakers are plugged into one that is not yet activated. Check (1)Bios settings and MB utilities, (2) software for your sound-card, (3) speaker plug is in the correct hole.

Most problems of this type for me have involved just a couple of "maybe's": Maybe the bios is not set to activate an onboard sound, or maybe the MB utilities (sound, etc) have not been loaded, or, perhaps, if you have both on-board sound and a sound-card, the output jack for your speakers are plugged into one that is not yet activated. Check (1)Bios settings and MB utilities, (2) software for your sound-card, (3) speaker plug is in the correct hole.
    And do also check that the cable from the soundcard to the cd/dvd-rom is in the correct hole(s).

check the drivers are for win2k, ensure its not on mute and the volume is up... check physical aspects (make sure the speakers are plugged in correctly)
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

All the drivers are load and everything, the speakers are plugged in the right place. This problem only happens with CDs. I'm able to hear sound(I forgot to mention this) when I download a movie from the internet and when I log into windows I'm able to hear the music it plays at after a succesfull logging. But I'm going to try your suggestions without a doubt I just thought I mention that I can hear sound except when I try to play CDs cuz I forgot to write about it. thnx for the suggestions.

Big_Bolo
    The strong do as they will and the weak suffer what they must.It is a choice. You don\'t choose to do the right thing all the time. You do the right thing all the time. Wining is a habit, unfortunately so is losing.

Big_Bolo: I would bet that it is a problem with the cable that connects from your sound card to your cd-rom drive. This is inside the case, so I am not telling you to open your case up and look as that may void any kind of warrenty that you have on the machine.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Yeah, thats the problem. There is a cable that transfers cd's music to the sound card without tieing up the pci bus. If you can hear all other system sounds, except cd's, this is your problem. Open your case and take a look at the back of the cd-rom, there should be three cables coming out, one is the power cord, the other is the big flat pci ribbon, and another looks like a small black cord that will fit into a small 4 prong slot on the cd-rom. The other end of this should fit into the sound card inside, and should have the same looking type of connection. This is what is either missing entirely, or loose.

er0k
    umm also go to my computer's properties, click on device manager, then click on your cd-drive, and make sure that you have sound enabled. If it isnt allowed to play music, then thats also a problem! Just check that that option is checked, you will have to restart of course, its windows, you have to restart after moving the mouse..