Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Linux Versions

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    So far i have used 3 types of linux, and all of them are really very great.

Tom's Linux : An entire linux os on one single floppy. I use this distro more as a rescure system or if i need a minimal system without having to install the entire OS onto a computer.

Devil-Linux: Its a dedicated security enchanced linux for firewalling,routing,proxying,ids. Its an OS that runs of a live cd (no hard disk needed). Their website www.devil-linux.org has very good support online, aswell as the emails that the people on that site provide. Its a minimum system, which only has the essential applications for a secure firewall.

SuSE 7.3, and 8.1 : SuSE linux is so far the best OS i have ever seen. The amounts of applications that are included is awesome. The support on their website is awesome too. Lemme just list a few examples of the use possible with SuSE linux.

Excellent GUIs, office applications, games, graphic and network utils, security utils, servers from apache, bind9,proftpd, wusftpd,sendmail,postfix,10 diff GUI for xservers, mysql,vmware, and a whole bunch more. The office applications are star office, open office, kde office. For graphics its got GIMP. Its got a bunch of mp3 players, mp3 organizers, virutal drum machines, diff mpeg players. Also, you can always update online (for free) any applications you need, aswell as system updates. Just like gore said, it also comes with very good written books on the applications, aswell as all the basic OS information needed to get you started and online. The new YAST2 is really helpful for installations, and system maintainance (good GUI). Its very stable and its also a good distro for more advanced linux users.

Of course i have not listed everything that comes along, like gore said....its 7 cds full of "Stuff". The only thing i am missing from this distro is a dvd player, and an mp3 encoder, but they can be found on freshmeat.net. Also the hardware support on SuSE is huge. Many cdr, dr-rw, scanners, printers, modems, isdn cards, pcmcia cards, network cards etc....

A very good distro indeed.

Cheers.

/edit/

Hey gore SuSE should make us an offer for the advertisement we are making for em.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Well, I just bought my first version of Linux. . I went for SuSE 8.1. And Im going to install it tonight on a dedicated box. Wish me luck!
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Mine would be the one I learned the most from. Slackware based on the 1.4 Kernel
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

opsec
    Last edited by zenergi; November 25th, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

Debian, www.debian.org
    be your self is the best coice....!!

Banned
    I'm a toss up between RedHat and OpenLinux

RED HAT u can get it at www.redhat.com

GreekGoddess
    I started with RH, but didn't spend a whole lot of time on it before switching to Slack. I've never tried any other distros, but I'm very happy with the capabilities of Slackware and the challenge of learning it. And there have been times where I've almost literally pulled my hair out trying to do something that was completely simple. Now I'm getting that stuff down and learning more complex things and being an avid windows user I've begun to see why people choose linux not only for the security aspect, but the extreme flexibility and customization. And I've found all of that in Slack. http://www.slackware.com

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Uhm.....i wanna take back some stuff i mention on my last post in this thread.

I just tossed my suse 8.1 out the window. Im going to stick with suse 7.3
    8.1 is not for linux lovers at all. I went nuts with it today. There so many packages that are missing compared to 7.3

So my opinion now is that suse 8.1 is nice for absolute linux newbies, its got its gui and bla.

So its suse 7.3 thats the best os ive ever used so far

Cheers everyone
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

gentoo