Thread: Supreme Court decision???

Supreme Court decision???

I heard from a friend who's friend heard somewhere that the supreme court decided today to give record companies access to P2P networks to try and track down music pirates for prosecution... I didnt put much stock into the story since i hadn't heard about it from anyone at tech, or on the news, and especially since i couldn't find a post on AO. but just to be sure, anyone heard about this?
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

yup...thats the story. happened last week. ill look for the story
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

find an ISP you can use in Europe or Asia, connect to it and download. Your US ISP will only show you are connected to an overseas site and you'll probably get away with it. Work smart.

The only thing I was able to dig up is this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2682243.stm

I'm not sure if this it the story you are refering to though.
    Obviously, this case will open the doors for similar trials. Due to rule of precident (in Canada anyways) this could happen again and again now....
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dc_3&printer=1

the us dosn't have the authority to stop kazaa (unless we declare them terrorists) but they tell verizon what to do:

"U.S. District Judge John Bates said Verizon must cooperate with recording industry efforts to track down online song swappers, rejecting the telecommunications giant's assertion that such a move would violate customer privacy and turn it into an online copyright cop. "

"Recording-industry investigators, using automated software, have been able to track down the numerical Internet addresses of file traders, but have not been able to match those addresses with individual names. "

looks like thats going to change!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It might not take the ISP records to track downloads, if the surfer is not careful. I just had to download MSPlayer9 to view that dog-shooting from another thread today. On the install, there were a dozen choices on preferences, including the program's ability to transmit your player registration number to the place you are downloading from. That was just one method of tracking what you do with your program. You already know that certain processors will transmit their serial number, unless you turned it off in BIOS. i am not worried personally about downloading music, since i have no interest in that passtime. i am, however, concerned about the precedent this sets. That could be a problem for everyone, music downloader or not...