Thread: Modem\Linux Question.

Modem\Linux Question.

I installed Linux last night, and this morning I figured I would try my hand at getting online with it. I noticed that Windows had the modem as COM1 so in Linux I created a symbolic link between /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS0. I tried connecting with DIP but it would not let me; it gave me an error. I though maybe I had assigned it the wrong COM port so I changed the link so it pointed to /dev/ttys1. I thought this fixed it b/c it did not give me an error when I used DIP but the problem is: it will not dial. I think the port I have the link to is my one external serial port. Does this by chance mean I have a Winmodem? If so, would an external modem be the better choice for me when I go out and buy a new one? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Exitrial

Well, there are a few questions that you need to address. What distro? Do you know the make and model of the modem? Chances are that you have a winmodem. Your best bet is to check your distros homepage, there you should find a list of modems that do and do not work.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I broke down and bought an external modem. I picked up a usr robotics and it works great. You can watch "das blinkenlights" to verify action. And for those few times I'm running windows, I can cycle the modems power when the winsock locks me up
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    If it is a Winmodem that you have, check out my tutorial about installing a winmodem for linux (*there are exceptions, obviously....)

It'll depend on the distro you use and the availability of the package for it
    Check out linmodems.org to see....

First thing you gotta do is find out what modem you have....
    Then the kernel you're using....
    Then get a package for the modem....

Hope this helps (if that is the issue)

Best way to know is what kind of computer you own.
    Is it a brand name computer (ie: HP, Compaq, Dell?)
    If so, it's most likely a winmodem (cheaper to give)

I have been Assuming that the Windoze "Com 1" was an external modem (You can have internals assigned to COM1)..
    Being a raw beginner to Linux I hazzard to guess that the modem wasn't configured during installation.. vis check your hardware conf (geez Idon't now I am still learning.. I was suprised by the ease of installation of the current distros.. ) But knowing the distro you are using will help the communicitive unchallenged to assist you..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I am using Redhat 5.2. The omputer I have is a Packard Bell. The modem and soundcard are integrated together as one card. The card is an Aztech Sound III 336SP. Thank you tyger_claw for the link I will have to check it out later, I have school in a few minutes. When I installed Linux it did not have a /dev/modem entry at all, so I don't think it was configured either Und3ertak3r. Thank you guys for all of the help so far.