Thread: GUI Red Hat 8.0

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak

GUI Red Hat 8.0

Hi,

Who can tell which desktop is preferred in Red Hat 8.0 ? And Why ?
    KDE or GNOME ? I now have GNOME.

Thnx.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Antionline Herpetologist
    There is no such thing as "preferred" GUI. It all depends on what you choose. Personally, I prefer KDE (though I haven't used 3.x yet) to GNOME. RedHat (the company not the distro) seems to like GNOME but in my experience RH 7.x works equally well with both.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

It's a gas!
    Its all out of preference really!
    I use Gnome on RH7.3, but you should really have a look at the shell prompt and its commands.

Just use whatever GUI you prefer.

Cheers

In RH8, you'll find that both the knome and kde menus are almost the same.

The only difference is the preferences, desktop and the "taskbar" or whatever they call it in linux.

RH8 tried to "standardize" the menus and there is no way that I know of to change them back like they were in previous versions.

I prefer to use knome for certain tasks and then kde for others. With RH8, you don't have to switch back and forth because they have the same menus. You will find that a lot of the menu shortcuts have been removed too, and you have to recreate them as a menu item or a s.cut on the desktop.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I used to use KDE with Red Hat 7.1 and 7.2, but I switched to GNOME when I got Red Hat 8. I prefer the feel of GNOME over KDE now, and to me that is the only difference. As phishphreek80 said, the only diff is the preferences, desktop, and the panel (what is known as the 'taskbar' in windows) Really, its personal preference, just play with both of them for a while and see which one you like the most.
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

KDE or GNOME? The choice is totally yours.
    But, I'll suggest learning to naviagate from the command-line.
    It's up to U.

phaza7: I couldn't agree more with you about the command line.

That is my favorite on a linux box. I try to use the command line in m$ as much as possible too, but they are making it harder and harder for us to do. Changing that sh17 around all the time.

The command line is great for almost everthing except for multimedia. And you actually get a better understanding of what is going on... rather than.. point here, click there... duh
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.