Thread: Problems with Apache

Problems with Apache

I belive this to be either a problem with apache or php or possibly bolth.

What I am wondering is does anyone know what would cause this to happen. Maybe someone here had the same problem.

I am running a few php scripts for downloads and things like that. Anytime i put anything with a ' [ example : Who's Online would look like this :: Who/'s Online ]

I know a little about php but not that much, but i do know if you are going to inlude text to be displayed on the site and it has a ' you have to put a / before it so it would be xx/'s

I am using nuke and pafiledb and if i name a title or category or whatever with a ' it puts the slash there.

Also you know how nuke has the footer with the url to its website. If you highlight it it says
    www.myserver.com/\/phpnuke.org/\/ or something like that,.

Sometimes if i refesh a few times all this goes away and then the links are back to normal

anyone know what this could be?
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

I don't think it's got anything to do with Apache.

I think it's the PHP magic quotes option that has been turned on by accident. It can easily be turned off in either php.ini or (on a per vhost, directory etc basis) in Apache's config (read the docs)

PHP's magic quotes is a hugely misguided attempt to make bad programs more secure - its results are devatstating, because despite its best efforts to correctly escape strings, it usually gets it wrong and you end up with backslashes everywhere.

I wonder whether AO uses it, because I have seen erroneous backslashes here too.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You are the only one that has mentioned that to me and I havent done it yet but I am sure thats what it is ... Have some greenies

-----Update-----

That was it... Thanks man. Now I can stop trying not to use plural words
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!