Thread: Outpost problem

Question Outpost problem

I just installed Outpost to test it (I was running ZA). To this point I am impressed, but one issue I am having is, when I shut it down it abends:

ERROR:

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown.

OUTPOST caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at etc..etc..etc..
    I am running this on Win95 (I know, don't ask, I have to support it) on a Compaq m300 laptop Pentium III.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thanks

Cheers:
    DjM

The only time I have had outpost do that is when I was running a network application, outpost was stuck at a prompt asking if I wanted to allow the connection or deny it, and then I shut down outpost...GPF every time. Maybe it is confused about app settings or maybe your computer is attempting to make a connection somewhere when it shuts down?

Another thing that did cause problems with outpost was when I was using a VPN client that had a built in firewall (it wasn't obvious that it was built in) and then the two would fight.. You might want to check to see if anything else you have is acting like a firewall (maybe antivirus?).

Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it or deleting all your application rules?

Good luck, I think you will be much happier with outpost's granularity.

/neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Thanks nebulus, I have tried several things which include shutting down all other apps before trying to unload outpost, same result. I am not running a VPN client on this machine but I am running AV. I'll try to shut that down then bring down outpost.

Cheers:
    DjM

I have run into this problem as well. At one time, my VPN client's "built-in" firewall was fighting with Outpost just as neb said. You might want to check to see if you have multiple instances of Outpost running by doing a Ctrl + Alt + Del and checking the Task Mgr. If you do, shut them all down and try running the app again, then shutting it down to see if you get the error again. Otherwise, try running the "check for updates" option. That bailed me out once.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Thanks t2k2, I tried the suggestions that both you and nebulus gave, but with no success. I believe I am fubared anyway's, I just dug this up on the outpost website:

GPF during PC shutdown under Win95

Workaround (unverified): Select “Exit and Shutdown Outpost” from Outpost’s systray menu before PC shutdown.

Status: No plans to fix it as support of Win95 will be abandoned.
    Now, I tried what they recommended and it still crashed. I'll keep working on it but I think the only way around it is to ditch 95.

Cheers:
    DjM

Im not to keen on outpost and fixing any associated problems, but was wondering if you can write a review up on it and then maybe pm me the link?