Anonymous posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous posts

Anonymous posts

I think it might be something worth considering to add anonymous posts to the system. Somewhere where someone can add something or ask a question that could potentially be embaressing, or they might feel uncomfortable saying in a public forum.

This occured to me when I got a PM from someone, RE: To Report Or Not.., saying that not many would bring a moral dilemna to a public forum. Its a good point, and more people might do that if they could do so anonymously.

It just seems to me that this way people could get feedback on different problems they face, without being embaressed.

The problem arises in that people will post curses and such and expect to get away with it. But the APs could still track back to the person, and the posts could need approval by a moderator before they see the light of day.

What do you all think?

I think it is a good idea, It will bring a lot of cussing, and many unfamily language to the table, nut like you said, it can be handled. I hope Jp seriously thinks about it, and add it along. On the other hand, i don't think he wants to add any new systems, we are having enough problems with the ones that we already have. Good idea though, and congratulation with your acceptence top college a year early, i will soon announce my acceptence 2 years early.lol.

I don't think it would be that great an idea, only because like ebo said. It would bring a lot of undesired problems. I mean, we already have a problem with anonomous bumpers, can you imagine the undesired posts we'd recieve by people who just want to see the regular users loose thier tempers. I think this site would turn into an AOL chatroom if allowed anonomous posters. I just don't think the benifit (although I see it) outweighs the opportunity for disaster and mayhem.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong --Dennis Miller
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Banned
    Why have that when you can just post your response as hidden. It covers up all the cuss words and it also give peaple a chance to speak their minds.

That's a good idea, but I don't think it stops people from seeing your AO Nick (Does it?). While going to another anonymous message board or creating a new nick is possible, its impractical, and can let people get away with things scot free.

Any other ideas?

That's a good idea, but I don't think it stops people from seeing your AO Nick (Does it?). While going to another anonymous message board or creating a new nick is possible, its impractical, and can let people get away with things scot free.

Any other ideas?
    No, it wouldn't stop people from seeing your nic... but if you have a question that you think might damage your reputation or make people dislike you, just get a spare account and ask your ? under a different screen name.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I have to disagree with this idea mobius, the antipoint system and its effects are what make this site what it is. Sorry folks but I support the antipoint system. This would cause more trouble than what it would be worth.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

But the APs could still track back to the person, and the posts could need approval by a moderator before they see the light of day.
    I have no problems with the AP system, and think it works well for the most part. I just think a forum where people can post things without their identity being seen might be good. APs should still apply, by all means, though. Otherwise, the forum would fall apart pretty quickly.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Why bother assigning AP's at all? The mere idea of posting anon AND still being able to recieve AP's seems well...childish. You should have to take credit and/or blame for what you post on AO. I think assigning AP's to unknown users has a certain undermining quality about it. Also, what's to stop someone from starting a thread, replying to themselves a couple of times in the same thread (anon) with good links and information and all us members here at AO think it's different responses from different members, and now this smart ass gets a bus load of AP's?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

ShagDevil, i think we shouldnt here worry about AP's much, we should talk about it bringing quality to the website, or the standard of discussion as a whole.
    No offense, but this is what i feel, really.

Also, there is no point in the anonymous posts thing. The very fact that you want to post it anonymously figures that you want to post something that is not ethical. Not always, but mostly.

-inv
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"