XP multi-threading??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP multi-threading??

XP multi-threading??

Has anyone had a problem with windows XP and the new P4 3.06GB Processors.

The reason i ask is that i have a friend with PC (Well Done Him) and he is having problems when he remaster his PC. It is an Advent from PC World, and it has a P4 3.06GB, GIGABYTE 8GEMT4 motherboard and Windows XP, when he puts in the disk it goes thru the restore process, and it all goes on Ok, but when it restarts to load windows it hangs before loading the logo screen.

I have told him to just install Win XP from a CD, but he wants all the software that comes with it, he people at PC world are lost, and they have offered a refund, but he wants the 3GB

any help would be great

thank dahquim
    What colour do smurfs go when they hold there breath???

um, how long is it hanging for?? and also, during when it hangs, press alt+ctrl+del and if it loads up immediately i think i know what the problem is. but we really need some more info.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

How about opening in safe mode and making a disk check...
    Tell him to try this
    IF this doesn't work, I think he gonna have to give up about these software...

maybe the fact that it is a hyper threaded cpu is something that XP doesnt agree with or wasnt accounted for when it was designed, although ive seen pc's with xp pro and HT processors advertised for quite a price, they obviously dont have a problem

also, does this friend have xp pro or xp home?

if he / she has only got home, maybe trying pro would be an idea as the only xp ive seen on HT p-4's is pro

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    First question I would want answered is "are the mb and chip on Micro$oft's Hardware Compatibility List"? If they aren't then I would suggest you return it for an alternative mb, chip or both.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

The computer is pre-made, its from pc world, the pc worked when he got it, but need to restore it back to factory settings for some reason or other, and it goes thru the process, and then when booting the first windows XP....please wait screen before the registration part comes in it hangs there, it will not allow a ctrl-alt-del, cant go into safe mode. im really stuck for option, he has got XP home.

if you need any more info then just ask

thanks
    dahquim

Has he formatted the drive? The disk he is using: Is it a factory restore disk that he is just supposed to put in and boot from? Is that disk supposed to format the drive if it ever got there? Is it possible, (by looking at the CD in explorer), that you could install from a regular XP disk and then reinstall the software he wants from this CD?

Sorry for the questions but there is a ton of info that may be apparent if you are holding the stuff in your hands that isn't obvious here.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by mrleachy
    maybe the fact that it is a hyper threaded cpu is something that XP doesnt agree with or wasnt accounted for when it was designed, although ive seen pc's with xp pro and HT processors advertised for quite a price, they obviously dont have a problem
    Xp does support Hyperthreading

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,524969,00.asp
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

The disk is a a factory restore disk that formats the drive, i have tried looking at the disk in Ghost explorer (the disk has a norton Ghost image on it), and there is no way of installing os from the disk, apart from the i386 directory, but then the software would not go on as it needs to be installed, (registry and stuff). dont worry about the questions, he has been in touch with the store and apparently there waiting for an update disk, cause they have loads of these machines but they won't tell him whats gonna be on the update disk( either they don't know or they are lying)

anyway hope this helps.....any more questions then shoot

Thanks
    Dahquim

Could you not format the drive yourself and do a restore of the Ghost image yourself, (i'm not sure if you have the whole Norton Ghost package or just the explorer).

If you can't do that I would say that you are pretty much pooped.... It's one of the reasons I build my own machines..... I never liked those factory restore disks cos if I just wanted to reinstall one app.... Most of the time you couldn't.