The Perfect Virus??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Virus??

Question The Perfect Virus??

This is just a general question as i often wonder if this is pluasible or even if it is possible.

Can a perfect virus be created??

I ask this because a virus is undetected (if written in a different code) until someone says, thats a virus and then it gets put on your antivirus list ect. like this worm thats going around. it cant be stopped yet cause its never been seen before, but once they figure it out it will be cured.

so, if a virii was made, so that it wasnt detected by and antivirus software yet, and the first thing it does is disable the way antivirus picks it up. then carries on its damage. would it be unstoppable. i know there would need to be different versions for each program (AntiVirus) but maybe it could be a larger file with all of it in one.

it just makes me think that it is impossible cause its never been done before. i am not posting this to encourage people to make virii and i dont want to make it. i was curious at something that seems quiet plausable, yet not been done so deemed impossible.

any comments
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

AI, hmm, there is no such thing and there never will be. this is because we cannot give free will to anything. sure, the programming could be good and extensive and given every situation possible. but in the end it is still following code, puched into it. so, i got a little off topic but AI seems to bring back many mant dreams.

Computers cannot make mistakes, that is because they cannot think. - i got this off someones Sig off AO. sorry i borrowed it but it does mean something. if not, then i dont know where i got it
    ----Homer J Simpson----

A perfect virus would be able to read and learn and defend itself.....but it wouldn't destroy it's enviroment, will-to-live and all, and it wouldn't let the User know it was there....Will-to-live again...so....the perfect Virus would be AI but you'd never notice it...so.....it would be pointless...lol....
    Your answer: No.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

You know I remember seeing a demo of a trojan in Dec 2001 at some .mil conference which did something like this, but I can't remember what it was called - but it simulated the Firewall's interface so it looked like nothing was going on. It was actually really interesting to watch it taking out the various bits of seccy software installed, it took out the AV instantly, stopped the firewall and then set up to copy itself and move around. If anyone is genuinely interested I can dig the papers out from my office next week.

However, for me the *perfect* virus would go through and randomly delete 70% of my email, especially those encouraging me to buy pump devices to extend a piece of anatomy that I don't even have. Then it would turn go online and order me coffee and a pizza ; )
    668 - the neighbor of the beast

What if someone had already made one and we just don't know about it... What if those extra-terrestrial beings really do exist and are over a billion times smarter than us, and infected all of the operating systems the second that they were made? But for us humans, it's not possible yet. But maybe sometime in the future.......
    [shadow]You will know the truth. And it will set you free[/shadow]

who need aliens to do that, when we have microsoft
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    To be honest, I think the perfect virus already exists. It's called new software. Too many times have I installed some program from Company X and it caused some severe error in whatever.dll or caused my computer to perform an illegal operation and crash. You got all these companies writing software with no consideration for other programs you may already have installed on your computer. And the best part is, no virus can even begin to compete with the human ego. The idea that somehow, someway you'll eventually get the goddamn thing to work right. To be honest, over the years, I've done more damage to my computer than any virus ever has.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

but thats different. virii has a purpose, humans are just stupid, and its not just you its everyone
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Until signature is known

Well, a new virus is always perfect until its signature is included in the antivirus program. This might mean some days, depending on how fast it spreads. Let's think now that we have a virus which knows how to put down some AV, like the one englishgirl1 told about. Add some polymorphism, and adaptative functions. Perhaps, it could just divide itself in 2 different viruses.. You would have random changes happening to the virus, like mutations. These would be spread through generations, and the variants which can be caught by av, with signatures already known, would be eliminated, resulting in a process like natural selection.
    Well, I don't claim that it woul all work, just guessing a bit.. and exercising my imagination..

perfect virus to me is not a bad virus, but the idea of a good virus.

Forget doing damage with a virus, what about a virus that finds holes and fixes them as it goes. You could wirte one good virus to fight a bad virus, it could undo the bad woork the evil virus has done.

So what does everyone think about the idea of good virus them?

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"