Thread: what modem is better?

Question what modem is better?

What modem is better a 56k internal or a 33k external?
    the internal modem is an intel 536ep ambient and the external is a rockwell fax data
    Maybe is a stupid question but i don't say that i'm smart guy :-).

The choice is really yours. Do both support fax? What speec can your telephone company support? There are a myriad of questions. I had a 56K modem at one time but my telephone company equipment would only support 24K, so my 56K modem became a 24K modem.

No one can tell you what you need. we can make suggestions but it is your money. If they both have the same capabilities get the faster of the two but as far as I'm concerned the capabilities come first.

No matter which one you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

While the external can be moved around, I'd go with the 56k, purely because its faster. I'm assuming that its PCI, so it wouldn't be too hard to remove and put somewhere else anyways. But, that's just my opinion.

remember, there are not stupid questions. We get stupid without questions and answers, so therefore, every question is a smart one. :-) Always feel free to ask. Never hurts.

but how come that the external one is much more expensive than an internal one?

Because its external. The technology of external modems works differently, and they are easier to install. It seems that this price difference is one more reason to go for the internal modem, IMHO. Especially if you can manage to install the internal on your own. (Which I'm sure you can.)

Besides, if you need any help with that...you know where to come to. :-)

Hope this helps you decide which one to buy.

well i don't need to buy any of them because i allready have them. And i can install the internal one on linux.
    So you advice me to stay with the internal one?

That's my opinion. You can always use the external for a back-up, but you might have some harder time getting it set up on Linux, where drivers are delayed.

i've installed both of them and it was ok.
    Thanks for the advice!