win98 to win2k
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: win98 to win2k

win98 to win2k

I have just taught myself to network my win98se pcs and a win95 pc, but as with everything, there's always a glitch somewhere. I am trying to add to the network a win2000pro machine. I have followed the instructions implicitly. All machines including the win2k machine can ping each other successfully, when it comes to the connection, the win2k won't do it!!!! Bugger!!! Has anyone got any ideas what may be the problem???
    Newbie? yes!!! Old Fart too!!!! please help
    Thanking you all in advance for your time and assistance

Hey ausmunch,

Have you looked at this thread ?

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=239365

It might help...

good luck

Dr_Evil

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Things to be sure of:

1) They all use the same protocol
    2) Be sure MS file and Print sharing is installed on all
    3) Be sure user accounts match on all machines

You can find details on all of these things here on AO or just throw them in a google search. I have a mixed environment too and after some playing around, everything is working fine. The 3 things above are all things that I did to get things to work.

This should put you on the right path.

Regards
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks Doc, just tried all that and nothing works, only thought now is that the card itself may not be working, but then how would it be able to ping the others? bugger,

Do you have share level access control, or userlevel access contol set on the windows 9x machines? With windows 2000 you can use user level access control.

I've got everything that can be set to shared all over, this is driving me nucking futs

Can you give a little more information about what exacptly you are trying to do.
    1) Are tyring to access the disk on the windows 2k machine from the windows 9x machine,
    or is it the other way arround.

2) Are ther any error messages you get?

3) I know you can ping one machine from the other, can you see them in network neighbourhood?

4) A quick check list, with the authentication:
    You are logging into the win9x machines with client for microsoft networks (selected under the properties of the network card (I think))

The username /pw combination you are using to log into the 9x machines is set up on the 2k machine (set in control panel on the 2k machine), this establishes a "trust relationship", the same will apply the other way round.

These things can take a while to sort out the first time you do it so relax.

WaveRebel

O.K. almost ;-) fellow old fart ... my mind is going too, but I dont know exactly what it is you are trying to do; see all the machines on each other? What exactly are you sharing? What protocols are you running on your NIC ( TCP/IP is apparent; are you running NetBIOS ? ) What do your lmhosts file look like for each machine? Can you see the W2000 box from the others, or visa versa?

The W2000 machine ( like NT ) will try to become the Master Browser and Domain Controller.

From the my days of setting up SMB, I seem to recall by default W31 and W95 used unencrypted passwords, W98 and W2000 use encrypted passwords. Could this be part of the problem?

I solved several problems at once years ago: turned off all sharing on the windoz boxes ( security reasons ) and run a linux box ( an old 486 will do ) with SMB to share anything you need to. I have running W98, Wme, W2000, WXP and linux all on the same network with no problems. ( Do yourself a favor, get rid of W95. W98 is only W95 fixed so it will somewhat work, WXP is not complete yet like W95 wasnt, and Wme: I pled the fifth. IMHO ).
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

1. I'm actually starting a business here, not bad for an old fart, but, need to access all pcs from all pcs.
    2. All pcs are set with an I.P. address in sequence. ie: 192.168.xx.1 , 192.168.xx.2 , etc.
    3. All subnet masks are identical.
    4. Each pc has an individual name.
    5. All pcs, because of circumstances have same username and password.
    6. All pcs are set to the same workgroup designation.
    7. Win2k has user accounts set as per instruction in prior suggestion.
    8. No error messages as such, just " can't find x machine"
    9. Yes, all through "Microsoft Networks"
    10. GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    If anyone is on ICQ, I'm at 3362170

sorry, forgot, no they cannot see the win2k machine, nor it them

Hey ausmunch, did you go to the link in Dr_Evil's post? This is a post from Eversor in that tread :
    "On the Win2K machines

Right click on My Computer
    Select - Manage
    Go to Local Users and Groups
    Double click on Users
    Right click on Guest
    Select Properties

make sure that the box that says 'Account is Disabled' is unchecked."

I had the same prob as you dude with some W2K pc's. All I did was turn on the guest account and the pc's could then connect.
    I hope that helps.
    \"My mind to me a kindom is:
    Such perfect joy therein I find
    As far exceeds all earthy bliss
    That God and nature hath assigned.\" Byrd\'s Psalmes