Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: win98 to win2k

so when on one of the win9x host you go to Start -> Run and type in \\Windows2kPC\c$
    what popup are you presented with?
    I KnowNot has a good point about the encrypted passwords, are you trying to access the 2k machone from a win98 machine or a win95 one?

yep, been there, did all that too, nothing

start - run - network name cannot be found and on the win2k, network path cannot be found

what about if you substsitue the name of the pc for the I address?

edit : sorry not clear

I meant on one of the windows 98 PCs in the start->run box. type
    \\192.168.0.x\c$
    where 192.168.0.x is the address of the windows 2k computer

ps sorry for all the typos, haven't quite woken up yet.

I have to go now, as I need to get into uni for a lecture, good luck, I will have a check this evening when I get in.

To I know not, I understand your point on the different os's but I need them all for testing software applications. Eventually...........when I get this sorted out, the lot will be run thru a linux box already and waiting to be hooked into the system, have an expert on the penguin to do that

waverebel, no can do, the system is configured to take an IP addy only in that particular box

need caffeine and nicotine methinks

tried that too, nothing still

bedtime for me, .... have you tried this site?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q258717
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Just like to say thanks to everyone there, I was looking around all the settings trying to find something obscure that maybe I had missed. I was trying to configure one of the settings for the IP when the window refused to do the job and told me that I had more than one set of configs working. Sooooooo, I went looking for the other ones, too much work in that, reloaded the OS and bingo, all works. Sorry to have troubled you people, but it was all appreciated very much. Thank You All