multiple o/s's

Thread: multiple o/s's

multiple o/s's

i would like to get familure with as many operating systwems as possible, i want to install redhat 8.0 along with lindows, and mac os 10 on a single 80 GB harddrive, my question is, is there anybody out there that is familure with lindows and tell me about some ups and downs about the o/s and also i was doing some reading and saw that in the advance option install for lindows you can install it with other o/s's but must make that partition a FAT32, my question to that is would my redhat partition be able to see the lindows partition sense its based on linux but its on a FAT32 file system?and last of all how are these o/s's going to handle mac o/s 10? i have been reading up on the topic but i would like AO members input as far as whether this is a good idea to install them on one drive and any experiences (compatability issues) you all may have had with these o/s's. thanx for all replies in advance, they are greatly appreciated.

As far as getting redhat to understand the FAT32 partition it shouldnt be a problem you just have to tell RH what kind of partition is is when mounting. I think the command is something like

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mountpoint (or whatever partition and mountpoint you need.

Actually depending on the order you install the os's Red Hat might automatically detect, create the link, and mount the FAT32 partition, because my install of SuSE 8.1 did that for my WinXP NTFS partitions. Hope this helps you out.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

well i am of no use on the mac front, i wouldn't know if you could use lilo or grub to boot it. most likelt grub if any, definately not the ntloader. but linux should be able to see FAT32 partitions no problem. i _think_ redhat 8 does not come with the ntfs module, so you would have to get that seperately if you wanted to use ntfs for windows.
    you normally install windows first, because it won't boot if it isn't on the first partition on the first disk. and then linux i suppose. check that your hardware can support booting after the 6Gb limit. that is pretty much obsolete now i think.

there are enough articles here to cover any would be problems you would come across with the windows / linux, but mac aslo...

best of luck
    and please keep us updated on this end
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

im not looking to install windows, i want to install lindows, i apologize if i implied otherwise.other then that descprepincy thank you for the suggestions, i would really like to hear as much as possible about this subject from people here before i do it.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Um, as far as I know, you cannot install mac OS X on anything but powerpc hardware. Unless, you mean you want to install Darwin, which is the base of OS X, and there does exist an intel version of this. Problem is, you cannot run the OS X gui, as that is proprietary, and not available for intel hardware.

Redhat does not have a version of rh 8.0(or any of the 7.x series either) which supports powerpc hardware. In order to do that, you will need to run yellowdog linux, or I think Suse has a powerpc specific distro, and there are several others, I think debian may have one, maybe slackware, Im not sure.

Also, Im not sure, but I suspect lindows does not support ppc either.

So, if you have intel hardware, forget about OS X, unless you use the intel version of Darwin(like I said, no pretty gui, no ease of use, etc.). And if you have Powerpc hardware, forget about lindows and redhat.

Have fun,

IchNiSan

ichnisan thanx for that, i didnt know that, i obviously wont be using mac os anytime soon then. but as for lindows i would still like any response from anybody thats used it, thanx agai ichnisan.take it easy people.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.