Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishops seek saint for Internet...

Bishops seek saint for Internet...

Guys,

This is what i call "having faith".

Fed up with hackers, a flood of spam and lousy connections, Italian Roman Catholics have launched a search for a patron saint of the Internet. And they hope their online poll will yield a holy Web protector by Easter.

Will it be Archangel Gabriel, whom the Bible credits with bringing Mary the news that she'd give birth to Jesus? Or Saint Isadore of Seville, who wrote the world's first encyclopedia? Or perhaps Saint Clare of Assisi, a nun believed to have seen visions on a wall?

So far, about 5,000 visitors are casting their votes daily on www.santiebeati.it something that delights Monsignor James P. Moroney, an expert on prayer and worship for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops...
    Source and full story here

Bye,

DKRR

Fed up with hackers, a flood of spam and lousy connections, Italian Roman Catholics have launched a search for a patron saint of the Internet. And they hope their online poll will yield a holy Web protector by Easter.
    Now I have heard it all. Instead of solving the problem, you can call your local Priest and Exorcise your box.

"Coooome out you evil heathen hackers and virii! I commmmaaand you to cooomeee out!!"

Now I can imagine the monitor spinning round and round while the case jumping up and down with the skiddot on the other end continuing his use of Sub7 deleteing files and grabbing your pr0n. No wonder the Catholic Church in in trouble...

albn

Has the world lost its mind?

in the words of george carlin, If your going to believe in god then you mid as well believe in goblins and zombies *not exact quote, too long to do it word by word*

Maybe getting a saint involved will help with the "lousy connections". But seriously, how about nominating "saint stephen"-You know, the one from the Grateful Dead song!LOL
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Neg me if you like but the knee jerk negative reaction here is what astounds me. The Catholic faith (of which I am not a member) has a tradition of assigning Patron Saints to everthing from Countries to Jobs to lost causes. This is merely a continuation of that tradition. I do not hold with it but it is their religious tradition. As a response we get a quote from a comedian (who I think is tremendously funny btw) and a reference to another tradition of that religion.

While you may not agree with it or believe in it that does not make it stupid or wrong. As for me I will continue to ask my God for guidance and wisdom before tackling most any problem especially computer problems. I believe in God, I believe that He asks us to converse with Him regularly (prayer in my terms) and also believe that I have a greater success when I do ask Him to help me with wisdom before working on computers. This does not release me from the responsibility of trying to learn as much as I can about the systems and programs I work with and administer. If someone who is Catholic feels that it is beneficial to use an intermediary to bring their request before God then that is their choice. If you choose to believe that there is no God that is yours. I disagree with you but I do not see the need to ridicule you for it.

Before you all start shouting charlatan or worse at me I would ask that you review my posts here. While I am not the most knowlegeable person on these boards I would certainly venture to claim that I have a decent level of knowledge of computers, am reasonably educated, and am fairly well adjusted mentally. For further information my parents were married and I am the fourth child so any allusion to my possible ancestry should take that into consideration
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

I too ask God for help and guidance and would not mock you in your faith. I think it is possible to find humor in all we do. Yet the those truly committed to Catholism take their faith to the streets and serve those who are unable, or incapable, to fend for themselves. With the trouble in the world today I think the tradition of posting (no pun intended) a saint to watch over the 'net would be a job that would interest the "politicians" of religion not those who adhere to the faith.
    And before you discredit me completely I spent a few years as a guest colmunist in a city paper addressing contemporary issues of spirituality.
    I would like to hear from those of a neutral stance on this issue as faith is an issue that is regularly addressed on the 'net!

this should have been posted in that philosophical forum (cosmos??)
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

SodaMoca5,

Come on, guys are just joking!!!

But i want to tell you one thing, i RESPECT Catholicism (and every religion and belief) but why Catholicism had inculcated in people's minds that they have to baptize the babys when they're just born and they have to assign godfathers without giving the chance to the kid to choose? Why? What if when you grow up and have enough age to think by your own and choose your own religion you are already baptized and you can't do nothing about it? What if the godfathers they assigned you aren't the ones you want now? What if later in life you think god doesn't exist? You could say is parents fault to baptize children when they're still babys but Catholicism has inculcated this throughout years so it's Catholicism fault too for not respecting what a person would like to choose when being older.

But it doesn't matter, i still respect every religion... but at least let us joke about it.

I respect you opinion too.

Bye,

DKRR

Tried the link, jumped to a site where you had to read Italian. Mine is a little rusty. Did find the English version here:
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/113/24.0.html

I love the line

"Coooome out you evil heathen hackers and virii! I commmmaaand you to cooomeee out!!"

Isn't that what security software is for?

I love the line

Isn't that what security software is for?
    Yeah. That was the point of my reply. As for the problems with the Catholic chruch, I could have done just fine to leave that out. Even though I do not buy organized religion, that comment might have offended some people.

Sorry bout that.

albn