IP release not working

Thread: IP release not working

Post IP release not working

I just got a laptop and had it hooked up to the internet at school and everything was working fine with ethernet. I came home and wanted to hook it up to my parents' cable modem. I plugged everything in and tried to get online without changing anything. I couldn't get online so I then tried to release my IP with 'ipconfig /release' at the command prompt. The IP will not release, it stays the same as the IP at school. I then uninstalled my network adapter and reinstalled it. Still not able to get online. The LAN settings are correct so I think it would work if I could get the IP to release and renew. Any ideas are appreciated. I am using xp home if you need to know. Thanks in advance

coVert

hmmm, thats a interesting case. And you say you removed the card already? Are you going directly to the cable modem or is there a router?
    You should be able to release. Try setting a static then going back to DHCP. Weirder things have happened... but you may end up having a problem with that NIC.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I haven't removed the card, I just uninstalled and let the OS detect it at restart. MY laptop is connected directly to the cable modem. Where am I able to set a static IP? This is really weird. Thanks avenger

coVert