Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD: a Victim of Isolation and Linux's Hype?

FreeBSD: a Victim of Isolation and Linux's Hype?

Hi,

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2650

Linux has really pushed FreeBSD into darkness .Now every one is going for Linux....and some even don't know that a good and rock solid unix called FreeBSD exists.FreeBSD also makes good desktops....besides servers.Today if its not M$ then its Linux.To all those who are going for linux....this is my request that you try out FreeBSD too.I won't say that you should not go for Linux...but just gove a try to FreeBSD too.Soem say that installing FreeBSD is like hell.I don't think so...all u have to do is to just read the handbook.hope some of you try out FreeBSD.For more info on FreeBSD visit http://www.freebsd.org

This is only a personal opinion...i don't intend to hurt any one.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    You have got a point there. I am using linux so far, but i have got my freebsd discs somewhere in here.....im just waiting to get my new box ready so i can install it. I always have wanted to try it. I dont expect to find any major difference to linux, so it will be fun to see. I will let everyone know my opinion on it once i get it setup and running.

Maybe one reason that people already using linux stick with it is because they are very satisfied with it. People who are on MS, and want to switch to another OS will take any other OS available.... j/k on that last remark. Anyways..... i know people who do use freebsd, and they all say it rocks.

Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

I'm in the same boat as instronics. just waiting to get my second box running. I have slackware on my main box and I love it. But my buddy keeps preaching to me about freebsd so i figured I'll try it out.

First of all let me tell any linux users attempting to try FreeBSD, that once installed, they are extremely similar. My main gripe was with the install itself. It was a text based install, this did not bother me as I have installed slackware before several times. However, its installer is much more difficult than the slackware installer to use. For instance I couldnt find anywhere in the install to set up dhcp. Yes there was a network configuration part, but I did not see anything about dhcp there. I probably just missed it, but after searching frustratedly for a few minutes, it really irritated me. Then another annoying thing was that at no point during the install did it ask which window manager to use in X. I intended on using BlackBox, however, it defaulted to twm and I had to manually change this after the install. I believe that if I had never used linux first, FreeBSD's install would have been too much for me to handle. Once everything was installed and configured, FreeBSD was rock solid and worked quite well. One thing I really enjoy about FreeBSD over linux is that it boots much faster. After using freeBSD I chose to stick with linux though.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Interesting bit of info preacher......I just burned the FreeBSD .iso's the other day but haven't had a chance to try them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    The Preacher.....

After using freeBSD I chose to stick with linux though.
    Just curious, but why?
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Originally posted here by instronics
    The Preacher.....

Just curious, but why?
    There are a number of reasons. The current distros of linux have a lot more support for cutting edge hardware than freeBSD. Also linux has a large number of applications that make general tasks much easier. When it comes down to it though, FreeBSD just isnt enough of an improvement to justify a switch. It looks and performs nearly identically to linux so sticking with linux was just fine.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

My *nix education started with FreeBSD 2.5, and i've installed in a couple times since then. Unless the 5.0 series has great advances in simplicity in the installer that is what i would say it's weakest point is. You really need to know what you are doing when you install FreeBSD or you will get confused and/or damage your existing system (if you are trying to dualboot).

However, once it is installed correctly and you have gone through the steps of configuring and installing X11 and gotten everything you need working that you will use. FreeBSD is a very very stable and powerful operating system. The users of Jaguar should know this, since their crap gui basically sits ontop of it.

Personally i'd rank the power of well known OS's with FreeBSD at the top, linux in the middle, and windows on the bottom, but for installation process and usability i'd reverse that list. FreeBSD is not a good beginners OS, But if you are familiar with linux and know the differences between linux and the BSD OS family, and want somthing strong and stable FreeBSD is the way you should go.

But, who am i? a lowly 30 somthin post lurker that nobody here knows, so... take this for what it is, my opinions.

i agree with black mask
    freebsd has been push in the darkness but will come to the light
    sooner or later.

But thats why I chose 2 go with FreeBSD on my new box.

i started out with freebsd also and switched over to linux on my main box about a year ago. i recently put 5.0 on my second machine but it's at home right now so i won't get to play with it until the semester is over. from what i remember about the 4.4 version, the installs were almost identical except for the gui. oh and you can't configure dhcp during the normal or express install, you have to do it in the expert install or afterwards with /stand/sysinstall. (in 4.4 at least)

i agree that it's a little clunky and needs some more apps to be used as a steady desktop system, but you can't beat it for servers of almost any type.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one