Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lan monitoring / packet sniffers / big brother

Kiss cool, i disagree with you there. If its company computers and company work hours that we are talking about (which is the fact in my case), the users are not allowed to send private mails or any kind of package across our network. This is part of our security policy and our users are aware of that. They are not allowed to use the computers of non-work situations. Everything they do on company computers can and will be monitored. So in my situation i do have the rights to read any mail that crosses my router, where its in or out!
    I don't want to be rude in any way with you Instronics (so I apologize if I seem to be offending) but I think the contrary.

I have searched and found an interesting example in France:
    A student of the ESPCI in Paris (an engineer school) has abused of his e-mail account harassing another student. As he used the school system and as students didn't have the rights to use e-mail for personal purposes, the persons in charge of the school decided to control this user in a stronger way...
    And they have finally been recognised guilt of a violation of the secret of correspondence by the law, simply because they have READ some of those unauthorized e-mails.
    A nominative e-mail is protected by the law as if it was a normal mail.

And even if I am not totally sure (I am not an American lawyer), I think that things work in the same way in the USA. I don't know in Greece.

It would be illegal if the users were not aware that all access is monitored, which is why we HAVE to make sure that they know this.
    It's what thinks a lot of companies. But as far as I know, it is impossible to drop out his own rights (in a legal point of view). That's why even if an employee is aware to be monitored, even if he had signed an authorization to read his mails, you normally can't.
    Imagine the implications of such a possibility, it would immediately be the return of slavery.

KC
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Setup Proxy Server Blocks.

Proxies Server can block all URL that u enter. hotmail to aol. Other measures like some mailserver can have set FILTERS on key words and type files such as *.zip -(zipped info) to be redirected or blocked for monitoring.

If you really want to monitor your network - try this site.

http://www.spy-software.com-download.net/

As for sniffing - I wouldnt worry about ur emails going from Europe to whatever over aol. Unless you are a well known individual by mac and IP address out billions of packets of user emails going thru MAI East Trunking lines you must be wanted by FBI, NSA for the effort of sniffing you out of millions and billions of packets. Are u Bin Laden... if not dont worry.

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to educate a newbie.

Take it easy...

-PW