Thread: Problem with computer...

Problem with computer...

I have an HP pentium 3 and I have several hard drives.
    here's the problem, one hard drive has NT 4.0 workstation (NTFS)
    and the other has 98 (FAT32) . When I tried to setup both hard drives,
    NT as the master and 98 as the slave, my windows 98 hard drive broke.
    All it does is make a clicking sound, the NT hard drive still works. The reason I'm
    doing this is because the NT 4.0 will not let me install america online. It says that
    it needs RAS instatlled first. My Question is is it poosible to run a non dos OS with
    an OS such as NT workstation, because I would like to keep NT and I also would like
    to install Red Hat 7.3 on another hard drive? I do not want to resort to the
    removable hard drive bay. Any ideas or third party software would be appreciated.

NETKNOW

alrighty well my suggestion is quite simple..

Create another partition and install RH 7.3... It'll work just fine

This might be RAS that NT is looking for http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/hownote/1998/ht98028.html

You can install red hat on its own partition but I find its best to put OS's on separate hard drives if you can. I would also avoid removable hard drive trays some of them will cause a big speed decrease.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Purely out of curiosoty...

Why do you want to run America Online So badly anyways? There are so many more efficient ways to reach the internet.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    HMmm, maybe im am wrong, but doesnt fat32 WANT to be the first drive/partition?

I remember when i still ran win98 and linux, i had to setup the win partition/drive first, then the linux. Windows (fat32) would not allow me to setup another filesystem in first place. Please correct me if i am wrong. :|

/edit/

What i meant was, fat 32 wants to be the master, not the slave.

/edit/
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Well something quite similar has happened to my system although my son has performed the dual boot setup, which consists of win 98 and xp prof.All I know is that everytime the system boots up you are given these two choices and automatically it highlights win98 first.After 30 sec it boots to 98.The reason why I am going with instronics on this one is because my son installed the 98 system after XP.The theory of the 32 bit fat wanting to be the master is correct.

Hope it helps.
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Any dual boot with Win98, then active partiton MUST be FAT. Win98 cannot read any other file system on local machine

vanman, if you want to change WIn98 as default, edit boot.ini file. Change default system to XP, you can also change the timeout. Change it to -1, then it will wait for user interaction.

Have got a step-by-step, if required.

"variable_node"
    \"The crazy thing is, I get paid to do this\"

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    The point is not which choice the bootmanager gives you. Its which filesystem is master and which is slave or which partition its on or not. The bootmanager will "Show" you any order you define it too.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"